Forum home Plants

Plant/weed identification

LorrainePLorraineP Posts: 218

Hi everyone, this plant/weed is prolific in my garden.  Can anyone identify it please, and what is the best way to deal with it?  TIA

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,449
    edited March 2020
    It's one of the willowherbs ... a prolific weed whose seeds drift around on the air like thistledown.  Fairly easy to recognise once you get used to them and they're not deep rooted while they're still small so the best thing to do is loosen them with a hand fork and pull them up.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LorrainePLorraineP Posts: 218
    Thanks for your reply.  It has lots of fine roots and I just wondered, do you know it regrows from these if any get left in the ground - like creeping buttercup - I battle with that too !
    No thank goodness ... its roots are not like creeping buttercup ... I battle with that too.  😠
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Looking again at your photo ... there's a little celandine plant to the left of the willowherb (roundish shield-shaped leaves).  I love them but some folk hate them and they do spread so if you don't like them get that up too.   There's a thread about them here 
    https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1035582/celandine/p1

• LorrainePLorraineP Posts: 218
    Ahh yes, celandine - thats everywhere too - I'm in the 'hate' camp but it is so hard to lift it and all its tiny 'grape like' root clusters  - I have resigned myself to learn to love it as it was pointed out to me it is an early source of nectar and I am trying to do my bit to help our pollinating friends - thanks again for the info.
  • I've got plenty of this growing in my garden too. Time to get weeding.