Forum home Problem solving

Suggestions for this space please

Hi, hoping someone might have some ideas to help me. We moved into our house about 5 years ago and the previous owners extended along the side of the house which has created a shaded recess at the front of the house and means we can't access the back garden from the front so we use this area for keeping the bins in but it looks scruffy. There's a picture below to show you what it's like. I thought if I bought some long planters and a trellis I could grow something up the fence. Any ideas welcome, I'm completely stumped! 

Thanks
Kate

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,291
    edited March 2020
    Hi @katefitzsimmons83 and welcome. 
     Is there any way you can break up some of the concrete to make a bed to plant in?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,297
    If you re-arrange your bins along the house wall, or the fence, you will mainly see the side of one, instead of three. You could then mask them with a large tub, or a collection of pots, that contain something more attractive to look at.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    To be honest, a simple fence/screen is the easiest solution, forming two gates for access. If you paint them a dark colour [grey, black, dark green] they disappear a bit more too.
    You can then have pots/containers with some evergreen, easy maintenance planting.

I think @Buttercupdays's would work best though, as it allows more scope and less 'bin view'.  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi @katefitzsimmons83 and welcome. 
     Is there any way you can break up some of the concrete to make a bed to plant in?
    Possibly. Do you think anything would grow there? It's very shaded 
  • If you re-arrange your bins along the house wall, or the fence, you will mainly see the side of one, instead of three. You could then mask them with a large tub, or a collection of pots, that contain something more attractive to look at.
    Thanks Buttercupdays, I'm going to clean up the concrete and paint the fence panel too. A collection of pots would be good, just got to work out what to plant in constant shade 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    There's plenty of choices for complete shade, so don't worry  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Fairygirl said:
    To be honest, a simple fence/screen is the easiest solution, forming two gates for access. If you paint them a dark colour [grey, black, dark green] they disappear a bit more too.
    You can then have pots/containers with some evergreen, easy maintenance planting.

I think @Buttercupdays's would work best though, as it allows more scope and less 'bin view'.  ;)
    Thanks Fairygirl, I'd thought of that before but because there's a window i thought it might look strange if the fence covers part of the window but I'm going to look into a low fence or gate that just covers the bin and doesn't go above the windowsill.