Forum home The potting shed

France lockdown....gardening confirmed😂

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 727
So it is confirmed that Disney is completely closed.... so tomorrow I go in to collect some paperwork then at least two weeks of working on what I can from home.... and otherwise I guess I’ll have no excuses to not get the terrace ready for summer!🌞🌸🌹💐🧤🐝🐛

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,628
    It seems the PM's edict about closing bars, cafés, restaurants etc and cancelling social gatherings is thanks to the Gilets Jaunes who demonstrated in numbers in PAris on Saturday despite large group gatherings being banned.   He decided the French citizenry needed to be forced to behave responsibly and recognise they all have a role to play in limiting the virus' spread.

They are not alone.  Belgium declared bars, cafés etc will be closed as of today so what did people do?  Go out to bars to get drunk together before they all have to go into purda.  Same in ireland apparently and now the Belgians are crossing borders into the Netherlands because Belgium is closed.   Bloody clever.   They may all be young and/or fit enough to survive after a mild illness but what about the people they infect and who aren't?  Their parents and grand-parents?  Neighbours?   

I shall divide my time between painting walls, painting furniture, mosaic, patchwork, needlework and the garden.   No chance of getting bored but maybe stir crazy.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 727
    Sounds like a full time calander there Obelixx. Perhaps I’ll get a few of my crochet projects finished....but don’t count on it.
    More likely to count cross stitch.  Never did get on with crochet.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 727
    I’ve stocked up on soil and have a plan of what I want the terrace to be like this summer so if we get the weather necessary I hope 🤞 I’ll get something useful done.
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,809
    There is a strange mentality down here about it all. My neighbours all say how terrible it is but it's not going affect them. I wonder how they are all going to get on without the hairdressers in the weeks to come. I only go for a trim once in a while so I'm not too bothered. 
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,469
    Have they said how long people are expected to hide indoors for is it weeks or months?
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,249
    On the news here it was saying three months.
    I was wondering about the lockdown in France which seems to be more widespread.
    Till further notice but probably months rather than weeks.   I don't need haircuts either but Rasta doggy is booked in on the 7th of April and OH will need a trim soon.  DIY stores here are open (so far) and SMs, butchers, grocers and pharmacies so no need for anyone to go short of essentials.   

I've circulated everyone's addresses, phone numbers and email address to all the patch group ladies, of whom 2/3rds are over 70 and supposed to stay at home.  A few are widows so completely alone most of the time so I hope they will all rally round and support each other.   I've offered to do shopping for anyone who needs it.  

President Macron is to make another "address to the nation" and is likely to confirm more severe measures than announced last Thursday.   We'll see.

In the meantime I have walls to paint, a bedhead to make, skirting boards to fit, curtains to sew, plenty of patchwork homework including a photo tutorial for my ladies, sashiko embroidery to get on with and gardening - things to weed, plant, prune, sow.  Just an OH getting a bit bored already cos he can't play golf.

My Granddaughter was due to go to France skiing with the university ski club next month, luckily Macron has stopped all movement so at least they can get their money back.