Forum home Wildlife gardening

Siting a bee hotel. I'm totally confused

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,070
I bought a bee/ insect hotel a while back and read the instructions.
Sunny spot: I can place it at any aspect, but south is the sunniest and I reckon they'd toast.
Sheltered spot: what does that mean? Sheltered from wind or rain, it's unlikely to be particularly sunny if I put it under shelter from rain
Near plants: in amongst climbers or just near a bush or near something for pollinators?
I can put it in pretty much any location or situation, but I havent a clue😐
Am I over thinking this or should I just build it and they'll come?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    I wouldn't worry too much. A south / south east siting that gets morning sun, is supposed to be best, as the bees need warmth to get going first thing. A sheltered spot might be under an overhang - not in a wind tunnel. If you have good flowers for bees in your garden, that should be fine.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,070
    Morning sun. I can do that.. Thanks @Fire
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,811
    B3......If you have an allotment you can visit there should be different types and people you can ask.

I made 2 and attcahed them to my allotment shed facing SSW with a roof to provide an overhang so the rain does not accumulate and drip onto the tubes.

There is a little landing ledge for them to land.

Imagine if you were a bee what would you want.

There are so many solitary bees that you will surely help some of the types.

Photos please B3 when its open for business.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
    Here it is. Not open for business yet 
    I can definitely  do SSW.  Well, pretty  much any  direction  really 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,870
    Looks like a nice pad for self-isolation, @B3...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    Solitary B3
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,870
    Ho ho...   :D
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • GW magazine page 151 warns not to include pine cones. They provide habitat for spiders that eat bees.
    Southampton