Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird Feeder survey

rupali_k17rupali_k17 LondonPosts: 5
edited March 2020 in Wildlife gardening
Hi all, 

I have designed an eco-Friendly (recyclable bottles), water bath, easy to maintain,weather-resistant Birdfeeder for my GCSE DT. Please find below photos. I will be really grateful if you can provide feedback.

Thanks a lot.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,081
    It's awful red!
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • rupali_k17rupali_k17 LondonPosts: 5
    It can be changed to any other colour
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,634
    A gap in the tray fence to aid cleaning would help.😁
  • rupali_k17rupali_k17 LondonPosts: 5

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,576
    Not sure about your drainage system.  Even peanuts in a metal grid container can get mouldy here if the rain falls faster than the birds eat them.   

Fat balls are a common feature on feeders and your system has no place for them.  Ditto fat blocks with fruits or meal worms in them.   

Don't worry about the red.  I have standard green mesh feeders for peanuts and very bright pink metal tubes for fat balls.  The birds don't mind as much as I do.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,518
    I'm afraid my resident squirrels would make short work of the bottles used to hold the seeds/peanuts and the tray would make a convenient platform for them to land on. In theory its not a bad idea but I question its longevity.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,872
    I like the idea of recycling bottles in any way possible, including your bird feeder - in my opinion that's the best part.  In a garden with no squirrels (like mine - I live in Ireland) they might last reasonably well... and of course you could replace them.  

A couple of suggestions:  instead of budgies, could you find a photo of wild birds like chaffinches or robins?  That would be more realistic for British gardens.  Also, it appears you have used salted peanuts in your dispenser.  These are very bad for birds - they need unsalted, uncooked peanuts or they will become ill.

Well done on your effort though.  
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,253
    I assume that you are based in Britain, this being a British based forum.

In which case, British English spells  it “mouldy” not “moldy”.

I never buy anything from a company that can’t use correct spelling or punctuation in its advertising blurb.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270
    It’s not an advert ... he/she has asked for our comments on a GCSE design project. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,253
    Fair enough, then please ignore

I never buy anything from a company that can’t use correct spelling or punctuation in its advertising blurb.

and instead read

“I am never persuaded to pay attention to anything that contains bad spelling and incorrect punctuation.”

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.