Forum home Problem solving

Celandine

We moved to a new house last May which has a small garden much of it consisting of a large flower bed roughly 15mtrs x 5mtrs which now is completely covered with Celandine.
As I have severe back problem it is impossible for me to try and dig these out, therefore can someone recommend a suitable weed killer that would do the job.

Many thanks.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 14,749
    Welcome to the forum. I would suggest just leaving it. The leaves and flowers will disappear in a short while.
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,857
    I agree
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 78,310
    Sunny little faces smiling up at you in late February and early March ... and then they disappear until next year ... what’s not to love ❤️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,970
    Sunny little faces smiling up at you in late February and early March ... and then they disappear until next year ... what’s not to love ❤️ 
    you mean, twice as many appear next year. ggrrr I'm not a fan.
    Bindweed flowers are very pretty as are dandelion seed heads, but I don't want any of them in my garden.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 78,310
    edited March 2020
    Where’s your romantic soul  @Hostafan1 ?

Bindweed throttles other plants and dandelions are with us almost all year round (but watching goldfinches in a field of dandelions is a rare delight nowadays). Celandine are just a glimpse of early spring magic. 😊 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,428
    I love Celandines.
    Have finally got some in my lawn and they look a picture.In a few weeks you would never know they had been there!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 14,749
    Good early pollen source.

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,514
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Devon RoyDevon Roy Posts: 15
    You may well like them but I would like to plant a few other plants therefore prefer to clear the ground.
    Please suggest a weedkiller would do the job.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,008
    Any weedkiller with glyphosate in will do the job. You need one that is translocated into the roots , not just burns the tops off.  Spray it on while the leaves are fresh and green. Wait for them to die off naturally.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3