Forum home Problem solving

Celandine

We moved to a new house last May which has a small garden much of it consisting of a large flower bed roughly 15mtrs x 5mtrs which now is completely covered with Celandine.
As I have severe back problem it is impossible for me to try and dig these out, therefore can someone recommend a suitable weed killer that would do the job.

Many thanks.

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Welcome to the forum. I would suggest just leaving it. The leaves and flowers will disappear in a short while.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,036
    I agree
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,174
    Sunny little faces smiling up at you in late February and early March ... and then they disappear until next year ... what’s not to love ❤️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,305
    Sunny little faces smiling up at you in late February and early March ... and then they disappear until next year ... what’s not to love ❤️ 
    you mean, twice as many appear next year. ggrrr I'm not a fan.
    Bindweed flowers are very pretty as are dandelion seed heads, but I don't want any of them in my garden.
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,174
    edited March 2020
    Where’s your romantic soul  @Hostafan1 ?

Bindweed throttles other plants and dandelions are with us almost all year round (but watching goldfinches in a field of dandelions is a rare delight nowadays). Celandine are just a glimpse of early spring magic. 😊 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    I love Celandines.
    Have finally got some in my lawn and they look a picture.In a few weeks you would never know they had been there!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Good early pollen source.

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,703
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Devon RoyDevon Roy Posts: 15
    You may well like them but I would like to plant a few other plants therefore prefer to clear the ground.
    Please suggest a weedkiller would do the job.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    Any weedkiller with glyphosate in will do the job. You need one that is translocated into the roots , not just burns the tops off.  Spray it on while the leaves are fresh and green. Wait for them to die off naturally.