Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hedge/Shrub Divide

My wife and I have just bought our 'forever' home in North Mid Suffolk. We have an acre garden and we want to make the bottom third of the garden a secret garden. We would like to grow a dense evergreen divide, but one with edible berries/fruit/flowers both humans and animals. We would like the divide to be about 2 meters or a little more high. It is likely to be 20 meters across. What are our best options please.

Gary & Debbie

• robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 669
    Not much experience with these myself but some options to consider might be a variety of plum yew like Japanese Plum yew (Cephalotaxus harringtonii), silverberry (Eleagnus pungens), Ebbing's silverberry (Eleagnus x ebbengei)(which I have just planted a couple of) or something I have tried is a hedge of Himalayan strawberry (cornus capitata) which seems to be growing well but will take years to flower and fruit and might be difficult to source plants for. I grew mine from seed I collected from fruit on trees on the grounds of the local university.

Another option might be snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus).
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    ... and Elaeagnus umbellata.

The tricky thing is the evergreen part. You might try a high, dense native holly hedge, but the berries aren't much good for people. Or yew, which is evergreen - berries good for birds, very bad for people...

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,126
    I think I’d plant a mixed hedge of native plants, some evergreen such as holly, mixed with hawthorn, hazel, beech and the wild dog rose, Rosa canina.  

That’s what I planted when I lived in North Mid Suffolk ... heaven on earth ❤️ 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Check very carefully on the vigour of any plants you fancy. Anything described as vigorous or quick growing will potentially turn into a difficult to control forest and you will be moving house to get away from it before many years have passed.