Forum home Plants

plant idea for bathroom

YnneadYnnead LondonPosts: 195
Hi I was wondering if I could keep any kind of plant in my bathroom. There is no window so no direct light though its warm. I guess its the best place for growing mushrooms.  As far as I know all plants need some light.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,090
    edited March 2020
    You are correct. Plants need daylight in order to photosynthesise.

Mushrooms aren’t such a bad idea. You can buy mushroom kits, some of which look quite attractive, and at least they would be useful.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,422
    But as Pansyface says, @Dirty Harry, plants need light and this bathroom has no window...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 993
    May have glossed over that one!
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,422
     :D 
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,896
    I usually have cut flowers in my bathroom. Daffs are currently lighting it up.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    You could try growing several 'low light requirement' houseplants around other areas of the house and rotating them into the bathroom for a week or two each.  Other than that, it'd have to be artificial ones or something cut, as Fire says.  I have a forest of ivy in the back garden and cut stems for Christmas decorations which last for several weeks.  Holly would also work but maybe not ideal in a bathroom!  :D
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • YnneadYnnead LondonPosts: 195
    edited March 2020
    Hello thanks for all the replies. Mushrooms it is I guess lol.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,480
    You could always rig up a grow light. Get a grow bulb and use it in a bathroom rated fitting for safety.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.