Forum home Tools and techniques

DIY Questions

I have a DIY question that's not related to gardening (toilet related issue). So although this forum is excellent, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an equally excellent forum but for home DIY. Recently I've searched on Google for forums and found some that look good but are dead and no one ever replies to questions. Whereas this forum is the best I've used in years.

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 1,214
    OH suggests the toolstation or screwfix forums which are very active. He says you need to have some idea what you're doing or you might get short shrift!
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,507
    Well I'd ask on this forum anyway, we cover all sorts of subjects not even remotely connected to gardening 🤔 
    My husband is a plumber but fast asleep at the moment!
     I've found the forums on moneysavingexpert really helpful.

• EricsGardenEricsGarden Posts: 151
    K67 said:
    Well I'd ask on this forum anyway, we cover all sorts of subjects not even remotely connected to gardening 🤔 
    My husband is a plumber but fast asleep at the moment!
     I've found the forums on moneysavingexpert really helpful.

See I would never have thought about MSE for DIY. I'll check it out. Thanks.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Also check on Youtube. All life and fixes are there.
  • EricsGardenEricsGarden Posts: 151
    Fire said:
    Also check on Youtube. All life and fixes are there.
    My problem, which is now solved, was that the screws that came with a new toilet seat were too short for the nuts they came with. So I wanted to know what options there were for nuts that have to go inside a hole. In the end I managed to use the screws and nuts from the old seat, that I thought I had destroyed when removing it. So for the moment it's sorted, thank goodness.

Youtube is great for so many things. But when you have a very specific question and need a quick answer for a problem like this it's not the best community. 

I'm glad it's sorted.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,597
    You tube's brilliant for most thing to do with car maintenance, decorating or plumbing all things that I think I can do but need a bit of a shove in the right direction, viva you tube.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,069
    I think that so long as you flag your problem up as non garden related, members love the challenge.
    Ive had oodles of useful advice over the years. Most of us have experience outside gardening.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    I had some great advice on trying to clean a mattress. It worked, as well.