Forum home The potting shed

Seed onion

Have grown seed onion for the first time. Plants are now 2” high but feel the frosts are a real threat, if planted out. Should I pot on indoors or just risk planting out? Hope one of you can advise me. 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,873
    Mine are at the same stage. I keep them growing in a cool greenhouse for at least another mont, before hardening off and planting out.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,469
    Same here I find onions grown from seed better than sets.
  • Knee DeepKnee Deep Posts: 22
    Many thanks fidget bones and Barry island I shall try and keep them happy in the green house for a further month. Looking forward to the result. 
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,807
    Experiment and sow some out at 2 week intervals and use a note book and a pencil..........new invention......and record what happens.

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,454
    2 inches high is not really big enough to plant out anyway. If they get up to 6 inches and start falling over you can trim them down to 2-3 inches and let them regrow, it's even meant to improve them!
  • Knee DeepKnee Deep Posts: 22
    I think experimental planting is a good idea I write notes on all I grow in my veg garden and have found it very beneficial. Still I find I am learning new things all the time. 🌈