Forum home Problem solving

Euphorbia x pasteurii - germination

UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 376
seems to be mixed advice about this.

on the one hand, "plant world seeds" tell us 15-20 degrees, covered.

but the supplier "Seedaholic" tell me 20-26 degrees, do not cover, needs light.

if i look up "euphorbia mellifera" a not dissimilar more widely available, i find Chiltern say 15-18.  

eurphorbia 'society' give general advice for eurphorbia....not below 18, can go to 25 in day.  they also seem to say you need 'fresh' seed.....i did notice 6 out of 10 floated, couldn't get them to sink.....which leaves me concerned!

anyone with experience of eurphorbia seeds can offer any advice?

Thanks

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,212
    Just bumping up your thread as you didn't get a response first time round.  :)
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,099
    I cannot answer your question about seeds... Mellifera seeds itself about in the garden, gently, but I don't know about Stygiana, I presume that would too... these are the two 50/50 equal parents of the Euphorbia you're talking about..
    ...this is Euphorbia x pasteurii Browns' strain... so they must have sowed seeds to get this... needs to be freshly sown as I understand it..  there are other similar seedling strains... this one developed by Browns' nursery... and noted for it's burnished foliage..

..best of luck with yours !...

• UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 376
    Marlorena said:
    .. this one developed by Browns' nursery... and noted for it's burnished foliage..

..best of luck with yours !...

Wow, i'm loving that foliage.  i'll let you know how i get on with the seeds.  They currently sit in a heated propagator, almost exactly on 25 degree, was sown without covering so they have light....they are moist.....i can't do anything more!
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    I got seeds of these from seedaholic last year........I followed their instructions and have lots of little plants ready to be potted on.  Will post pic tomorrow