Forum home Problem solving

Fatsia Japonica

lily6lily6 Working and living in the Chiltern Hills. Posts: 79
I have a Fatsia growing in a large pot on my patio. It's healthy with lots of new shoots coming through but something is eating the leaves. I can't see anything flying, jumping or crawling or any eggs. Ideas of what to do please, I've cut the ratty looking leaves off since taking the photos. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    Hi @lily6. It looks like shot hole disease which often affects laurel.
    I've never seen it in Fatsias personally, but it would be my best guess.
    I think, if it is that, you'll just need to remove affected leaves. 
    Make sure the container is large enough, and the soil is refreshed every year, to keep it healthy.
    Fatsias don't tend to make good pot specimens though, as the root system gets too big to be well enough sustained. It would have to be an enormous container, or purpose built raised bed or similar.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AstroAstro Posts: 382
    Mines been the same on a few leaves, I haven't found out what is was but it didn't progress onto more of the plant over the year so I just left it be.
  • lily6lily6 Working and living in the Chiltern Hills. Posts: 79
    Thanks fairygirl, I've not heard of shot hole disease, sounds terminal! The Fatsia was planted up in September, its a pretty large pot around 3feet diameter and around the same in depth and up on a wheel able platform so it can be moved out of the hot sun, gosh doesn't that seem along way off! I'll top if up with fresh compost tomorrow. 
    Thanks Astro, your experience gives me hope that I maybe worrying unnecessarily about the holey leaves. I shall try to be patient! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    It isn't likely to be terminal @lily6, and without seeing the whole plant it's hard to make a judgement, but a healthy  plant will recover, and yours looks very healthy. Removing any affected leaves will improve it aesthetically, and they grow new ones very quickly. A seaweed feed, foliar on into the soil, through the growing season is good for foliage plants, but don't apply during the sun.
    Don't keep it in a sunny spot if possible, as it tends to bleach the leaves out too.

It isn't slugs. If slugs/snails ate Fatsias, I'd ever have any foliage on any of the ones I've grown  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks Fairygirl, I've had a little read up on Shot hole disease and I think you're spot on with your diagnosis. I have given it a feed this morning. The container is on wheels so it can be moved out of the sun and the cross winds that we experience. We invested in several large pots and wheel able platforms last year, if anyone is thinking of doing the same they are well worth it, proved invaluable this Winter to protect the plants from wind and help with drainage from the deluges. 
  • AstroAstro Posts: 382
    lily6 said:
    Thanks Astro, your experience gives me hope that I maybe worrying unnecessarily about the holey leaves. I shall try to be patient!
    It isn't ideal but tbh , not even sure mine has the same issue. But for the vanishing  bits on some leaves it looks healthy to me.

It's in a north east facing corner so gets a bit of sun in the morning once the sun is a bit higher in the sky. It's in the ground but being close to the walls I give it plenty of water and a feed. 
    I think its much the same as my plant, lovely glossy leaves, just darn annoying holes! Normally it's slugs and snails that do the damage in my garden, however much we try we can't beat Mother nature 😉