Forum home Plants

Begonia tuber help

hi. I put my tubers in a tray to wake them up and they’ve started sprouting nicely. Was going to pot them up and cover with compost this weekend. One seems to have developed a leaf? Maybe? Is it ok to carry on as planned or should I cut the leaf off or...? Sorry. Newbie to gardening! 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,492
    Nooo - leave the leaf alone - it's trying to grow.
    When you re-pot, keep the tuber at the same level.
    If you cover it with compost it'll rot, the tuber should be on the surface and stay on the surface as it is now.
    It's looking fine
    Good luck
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Brilliant thank you 😊 the internet tells me lots of different info it’s confusing 😂
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 993
    Can these not be covered with a thin layer of compost? Internet seems to be pretty conflicting.
    The logic behind it is that the top of the tuber has a depression. If that's covered with compost it'll remain damp and could rot the tuber, and water will sit in it.
    I haven't grown them for years, but I used to and I can't recall having any issues using that method.
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 993
    Cheers.

Do you give the compost a watering when doing this or just leave it dry?

Yes, the compost should be moist as the fibrous roots produced by the tuber will want to get growing
  • Update: all growing really well :)  left begonia a little proud of compost and avoiding getting crown wet and watering when compost is dry.   :)
    They're looking good! :)