Forum home Problem solving

rose on obelisk

Hi,  Can anyone advise me when planting a rose to grow up an obelisk, do I plant it on outside or inside of obelisk?  
Also, would it be too heavy to combine a clematis along with a rose?  The obelisk is around 7' high.  
Many thanks.

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,099
    Having done both, I recommend you plant your rose outside the obelisk and angle it towards the obelisk to grow around and across it, but allowing some canes to go upwards within the structure...  for a clematis I would suggest one from pruning group 2...

One of the reasons for planting outside the obelisk is that, should you decide the rose is not for you, and you want to change it, it's easier to remove from outside than from within, whereby you would have to take the obelisk out the ground, and it could be damaged as a result, especially if it's tangled up with lots of roots.. [been there, done that]...
  • Hilary_15Hilary_15 Posts: 73
    Many thanks for that advice.  Is there a reason for recommended a group 2 clematis as opposed to a group 3?

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,099
    ...yes.. the gr. 3's regularly seen would swamp your rose on an obelisk, as once they reach the 7 foot they would then be forced to cascade downwards and cover everything...  your rose would sulk and stop flowering..  it can be a tricky combination to get right...  
    ...you could put an herbaceous clematis in the centre of the obelisk, which keeps it contained, as they usually grow 6-8 feet tall and more appropriate... of those commonly seen I recommend Durandii or Rooguchi... if you like a dark purple/blue..

I have both of those...  
  • Hilary_15Hilary_15 Posts: 73
    Ok, I see what you're saying.  Thanks for that.