Forum home Problem solving

Paddy's Pride ivy - thick at top, leaves dropped from bottom - what to do?

This Paddy's Pride ivy is thick at the top, but a lot of the leaves have dropped from its lower part.  It's west facing but in summer it gets a lot of direct sunlight.  It could be in the wrong place because I think Paddy's Pride prefers shade, although it is supposed to flourish in full sun.

Is now (early March) a good time to snip its branches about six inches above the soil and then remove all the foliage, so that it can start again? 

Or is it the wrong climber for a planter in such a sunny and exposed position, against a brick wall?   If so, which evergreen climbers would people suggest for such a position?   Thanks.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    Most ivies will grow best in shade, but they're happy enough in sun if they have enough moisture. Some of the variegated ones will need sun to keep their colouring.

I doubt it gets enough moisture in that container to do it's job properly. Anything in a pot long term needs a soil based medium too, so if it doesn't have that, it may do better if you replace the soil. 
    Dropping foliage is perfectly normal in all evergreens, but it may be dropping more to help conserve itself. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,102
    Have you watered it even if it's  been raining?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Thanks, Fairygirl (and B3).  Yes, I've given it lots of water, and I know that you can't really give ivy too much.  The same ivy is in the same soil in the same kind of planter on the east side of the house and that one is very healthy.  One theory I have is that because the foliage at the top is thick it could be that this ivy is actually "trying to get away" from too sunny and hot a position, hoping to find somewhere shady, which it is not going to do. 

If I cut it above the soil and if it sprouts and flourishes as it did initially, then I think it may go the same way in another few years.  So it might be better to replace it now with an evergreen climber which really DOES love full sun - and being baked against a hot brick wall?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201
    The one on the east side won't get the heat of the sun in the same way, so it'll be happier.
    Ivies tend to grow in that top heavy way anyway when contained at the base. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• @Fairygirl, I think I'll cut it all away and see if it will flourish as it did four years ago.  If it does, then good, though I expect it'll try to "get away" again over the coming years.  The alternative would be to replace it with an evergreen that adores sunshine and being baked against a brick wall.