Forum home Problem solving

Tradescantia cuttings

Hi all, I’m currently trying to revive some tradescantia cuttings that were given to me. I’ve had them about three weeks now. Pics below. 

The leaves are floppy and browning. The stem, where it meets the soil, is brown and thin, looks like it could snap any minute. 

They get medium light, watered about once a week and I mist most days.

I’ve successfully grown these plants from cuttings before, they have grown into a magnificent adult plant... but when they were just cuttings, they were sat in a terrarium in very wet soil and full sun for ages, which I have since read isn’t good for them, so I assumed I just got lucky that time! 

Any advice for these new little fellas?

Many thanks 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,839
    I'd chop them off at the lowest point of healthy growth and sit them in water until new roots form. Keep them somewhere bright but out of the sun if possible and new roots should show within a few days. Once the cuttings have recovered a bit then you can move them into damp soil. Transferring from water roots to soil roots can be tricky though so don't let them dry out in that time.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 725
    I've just potted some on this morning. I had a poorly plant, accidentally shoved away in a cold greenhouse. Anyway I cut off the top two to three inches and popped them in water. That was January, hardly ideal cutting time! They rooted and were potted up, kept on a bright windowsill. Good luck.
  • PegathaPegatha Posts: 86
    Thank you all for your advice, very helpful :) I’ll cut below a node and pop in water in a bright place then transfer to wet soil once rooted.

Once transplanted to wet soil, do I then let the soil dry out before watering again...? 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,839
    Rik56 said:
    Although cuttings take well in water - you have over-watered this plant.
    I water mine once a month on average.
    Mine like to be watered weekly throughout the year but I don't soak them. I guess soil type and pot size is a factor but I just water them when they're dry and they seem to dry out very quickly.

Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people