Forum home The potting shed

Summerhouse - Interior Paint

Hi everyone! I put a summerhouse up last year and painted the outside with proper wood preserving Cuprinol. This spring I want to paint the inside. Can I use any interior wood paint? It has had a couple of coats of white exterior paint inside so this would be on top of that.

I hope I'm making sense but essentially the exterior stuff (I guess as it's white) just isn't covering the inside properly.

Thanks,

• Flynn73Flynn73 Posts: 19
    Sorry, just saw I put this in the wrong place. :'(
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,433
    edited March 2020
    What kind of exterior paint have you used inside?

Don't worry about where you've posted @Flynn73 - no one takes any notice of that!
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,692
    Is the inside "lined" or is it "the other side" of the outside timber?
    Devon.
    Thanks @Fairygirl. I used Cuprinol Daisy white on the inside but it's so watery it's just not going on thick enough.

@Hostafan1 the inside is just the other side of the exterior. Cheers

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,692
    My concern is the paint might "leach" through from one side to the other
    Devon.
    I know what you mean, but I'll take a chance and just have to paint over any that does.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,433
    I'd slap on some ordinary emulsion if it was mine. It often works really well on wood, and is cheaper than using a satin paint for interior woodwork. Depends how well waterproofed the summerhouse is too, but I find emulsion is actually quite good for that kind of  thing. I remember painting the little playhouse my girls had with ordinary emulsion. 

I'd agree with @Hostafan1 though - you'd have to just watch what leaks out, but the alternative would be to clad the inside with lightweight timber.
    Makes it pricier though. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

That's what I was hoping I could use @Fairygirl. I'll give it a bash. Thanks for the input.😀
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,621
    edited March 2020
    Our summerhouse (picture 28 in this sequence if you want to see the actual one) made by Scott’s of Thrapston is coated with Teknos paint. I have used the paint for other projects such as painting some interior furniture and the outside of the conservatory and I have to say it goes on beautifully.

https://www.scottsofthrapston.co.uk/garden-buildings-and-summerhouses-gallery/

https://www.teknos.com/en-GB/

Thanks for the info Ben, lovely summerhouse and paintjob BTW. :)