Forum home The potting shed

Does it ever end?

Due personal circumstances I'm relatively new to gardening, but the bug has bitten hard.
I find that I am constantly thinking about what to add here, where to shift a plant there, what to do with a border or spare corner, etc, etc, I love it but it's almost become an obsession. 
I think I understand why Cezanne was never quite satisfied that his works were ever finished.
Of course, there will always be the regular chores and maintenance, that goes with the territory, but does the constant improvement in search of a subjective perfection ever subside? 
Have any of you long time gardeners arrived at a point where you can basically put your feet up, sit with a tea/coffee/beer/G&T and consider your gardens a work complete?
Just another day at the plant...

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,399
    I'm afraid not... gardening can also become a sisyphean experience but the more the merrier... especially in these critical times... 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,491
    🤣 nope 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,628
    Nowhere near!  New garden with loads of scope and lots of plans.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • owd potterowd potter Posts: 705
    Oh dear, 
    Mrs Potter is not going to be too impressed, she's been trying to get me inside for 2 years to start decorating!!
    Just another day at the plant...
  • Plant itPlant it Posts: 155
    Gardening would be boring if it had an ending it don't have to be your one at home or where I am at me allotment. To me its the best hobby u could have.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,672
    Short answer is "No" !
    If ever l am naive enough to think l've reached that point, the second l sit down with a cup of tea to admire my creation l spot something that
    A. Needs watering 
    B. Needs pruning
    C. Is in the wrong place
    And that's just for starters  :)

However, in the interests of keeping Mrs Potter happy and preserving domestic harmony, it may be worth picking the decorating job that requires the least amount of time and effort.
    If you have one of course...
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,271
    edited March 2020
    That's an interesting point @owd potter. I don't think gardens are ever "finished" because plants keep growing and eventually dying so the garden never remains static for long.  Besides, that's half the fun of it, moving things around and buying new ones. The nearest I ever got a 'finished garden' were the days I opened for the NGS, after 2-3 months of hard slog every day. 
    As for decorating you can use all the rainy days for that!
  • B3B3 Posts: 21,532
    I hope not! I once had a small garden and when everything was done, I felt slightly bereft. 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,621
    I’m pretty content with my garden. I am in the fortunate position of having a gardener for 4 hours a week and she keeps on top of the weeding, mowing, pruning, transplanting etc. I just fanny around do little bits and pieces and resolve to spend much more time enjoying the garden than doing the gardening. I realise enjoying and doing are part of the same Venn diagram but there are certain ‘doing’ tasks that are well outside the overlapping zone.