Forum home Problem solving

What is this plant???

This Bush was being grown as a small (30-50cm high) border hedge, sort of box hedge style, in South Africa. The picture shows the flower and you can see the leaves are small and glossy green with a red tinge to the new growth. Any idea what it is and if it will grow in U.K.?? Thanks! 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,313
    Hi and welcome to the forum. 
    To add a photo, click on the icon which looks like a postcard of a mountain, and follow instructions. ( you may have to resize it if the file is too big )
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,240
    I think that's Myrtus communis ... Common myrtle 
    https://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/myrtus-communis/classid.4117/  beautifully scented. 

It's traditional in the UK to have a sprig of myrtle in a wedding bouquet.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    edited March 2020
    Agree, I have myrtus communis subsp. tarentina (smaller leaves, less hardy) growing by the front door in a raised bed and flowering now.  :)
    Myrtle needs a bit of shelter in the uk - mine grows against a south-facing brick wall.  I don't think it would do well in an open windy area, but would probably be ok in a south or west facing border with full sun if sheltered by other shrubs nearby, especially other evergreens. 
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you. That’s three people now saying Myrtus Communis from the picture so I think that’s agreed!! Thanks for your help. 
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    I grew that when I lived in south africa, the birds loved the berries. I'm trying to source one in Belgium. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,567
    @Bijdezee - it is listed by Promesse des Fleurs who are near Lille so not that far if you fancy a day out - https://www.promessedefleurs.com/arbustes/arbustes-par-variete/myrte/myrtus-communis-subsp-tarentina-myrte-commun.html 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,484
    Thanks @Obelixx,  I'm told that Floralux should have them in May, so I'll try that first as it's nearer.