Forum home The potting shed

Rhubarb

lily6lily6 Working and living in the Chiltern Hills. Posts: 79
Anyone had their first Rhubarb harvest (not forced)? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,491
    edited March 2020
    Oh yes, we've been pulling our Timperley Early for a few weeks now ... crumbles have been eaten and OH's work colleagues have had several rucksacks full.  It's beautifully sweet this year  :D

Ill look for the pic I took ...
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Here it is ... first picking this year 11th Feb

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• lily6lily6 Working and living in the Chiltern Hills. Posts: 79
    Right that's it, wellies on and crumble making shall commence! 
    Enjoy  :)

• PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 538
    I love rhubarb and having my first attempt at growing it this year. I have been told that the first year you dont get a harvest. Is that correct?

Yes, I'm afraid you need to leave it to grow this year, and then next year just take a few pickings. 

In following years I never take more than one third of the stems at a time, and I stop picking at the end of June, to allow the crown of the plant to build up strength to get through the winter and produce plenty of stems in the following spring. 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,444
    Sadly, yes.  The plant needs all its leaves to build up its strength - if you cut them off it can't photosynthesise.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose North YorkshirePosts: 538
    Thank you  :) I thought so. 

• I have one rhubarb plant and it’s getting quite large I would like to split it and get more plants, do you think I could dig up a part of it to replant and still harvest from the ‘mother’ plant? Is it too late now?
    edited March 2020
    I wouldn't do it at this time of year ... best to split it when it's dormant in the winter.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingrhubarb1.shtml