Forum home The potting shed

Should I add polystyrene insulation to my wooden greenhouse

Recently treated myself to a wooden greenhouse. Wondering if I should insulate the walls below staging height with polystyrene boards before I fit power (for light not heating) and fill it with plants after which I’ll never get round to it. My thinking is that I could then cover the boards with ply etc to seal the lower part from bugs and dirt etc and of course to keep it warmer in the winter. I don’t think I’ll be trying to overwinter much but I do have a couple of citrus which could stand on the floor (which is currently all earth) and then have a lower smaller tent erected over them? Will be growing tomatoes etc in the summer. Not sure if this would be worth the pfaff 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 7,559
    I'd worry that moisture would get trapped in there and rot the frame. Most of your heat loss will be through the glass anyway so it won't gain you much for the effort.
    A great library has something in it to offend everybody.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    I agree with WE, maintaining good airflow around all wooden parts of a greenhouse is essential due to the high humidity, and adding insulation down there won't help much in winter.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Rhondda ValleyPosts: 2,363
    I used to bubble wrap the glass in mine, you can buy the little plastic things to hold it in place. I always kept the heater on 5° which seemed ideal for the pelargoniums etc which I overwintered.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Thank you all. I knew there was a reason why I’d not seen anyone else do it. I’ll get on with the other jobs instead
  • Mike AllenMike Allen Posts: 207
    Polystyrene?????? I'd be inclined to avoid.  I have a large wooden framed GH.  I have insulated it with small bubble plastic sheeting, down as far as just below the staging.  This remains inplace all year.  The GH is unheated.  Now and the I may use a heated propagating case.  To be honest.  Below the staging is/are pots and trays and chemicals and various bags of composts, sands etc.