Forum home Plants

Plant ID

Hello,

I moved into a new home 3 years ago and since then I’ve had my garden expanded and landscaped. The workmen did a great job and I’m please with my new garden however in the process 3 plants that made up the shrubbery at the side of my house were trampled by the builders van and haven’t grown back. The problem is I cant for the life of me determine what the shrub is and therefore cant replant some replacement shrubs to fill the gaps. Please could I ask for your help and expertise in identifying the red/purple coloured plant so in the attached pictures. 

Thank you in advance
Kind regards

Stuart, Northampton.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,432
    It's a deciduous berberis, maybe Berberis thunbergii atropurpurea - or it could be Rose Glow, hard to tell before the leaves expand fully.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,887
    A close up pic would have been better, is that flowers about to burst out, maybe a Ribes but not sure.  It just looks the right colour although not the right shape. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,432
    I think you can see the spines, @Lyn, which made me think Berberis...?
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    I wasn’t sure if I could see spines, it could be that,  I’ll look at the stage mine are at a bit later, the arching habit does look like that though.

• Hi here’s a closer picture. This plant if flowering slightly earlier than the others.

thanks again. 

Yes,  it’s a Berberis.

• Thanks very much. 

Time to get out there weeding, planting and pruning 👍😀