Forum home Wildlife gardening

Bird trying to come in

Just had this little fella knocking on my patio door.  Kept trying and wouldn’t be scared off - in fact after I opened the door to shoo him away from harm he flew into my phone(!) as I tried to film him.

Not seen this type before in our garden, and any idea why he was so keen to get in?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873
    Wally the wagtail
    Lots of them around here - they attack the wing mirrors on cars and my neighbour has the same as you - one spends most of his day trying to access their porch - he's attacking his reflection - my neighbours named him - not me
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,255
    Long tailed tit.

They fly around in little families. Very friendly.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,872
    Yes, definitely a long tailed tit.  That behaviour, tapping on a window, is quite common at this time of year but I don't know if it's attacking its reflection or attracted by someting it can see inside...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,473
    Long tailed tit. We get them at the edges of the windows. I think they are picking insects out of the spiders webs.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,279
    Yes it’s a male long-tailed tit trying to drive off the reflection it sees in the glass as he thinks it’s a rival ... chaps eh?! 😉 

That’s spring for you.  The sap is rising. 

Great birds to have in the garden as they feast on aphids. 👍 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,885
    Long tailed tit. We get them at the edges of the windows. I think they are picking insects out of the spiders webs.
    They use the spider webs to hold their nests together so it could be collecting some.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,535
    That reminds me - did anybody watch the wild life programme on Cuba last night?
    The hummingbirds there are tiny and pinch the spider webs to make their nests too.
    Well worth a watch if you missed it (although you do have to tolerate the music).
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    Great, thanks all.

I guess he saw his reflection in my phone as well then 😅
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    They usually come in bundles. Have you seen others about? One of my favourite birds. So gorg.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    Fire said:
    They usually come in bundles. Have you seen others about? One of my favourite birds. So gorg.
    Just the one, and I’ve never seen any in our garden before. Gone now but I’ll keep an eye out in case.

Since I started gardening it’s been fairly predictable two wood pigeons, two robins, 3-5 magpies and the occasional crow.  Two neighbours chopped down or decapitated their trees last season, perhaps that’s introduced some variance.  Had a blackbird today as well which I can’t recall seeing before.