Forum home Problem solving

apple tree

I had an apple tree in a very large pot and transferred it to the ground two years ago with plenty of fertilizer etc. The tree blossoms and produces very small apples but ,it doesn't grow.When it was in the pot I had huge apples from it. I have noticed this week it looks like there is green mold all over it even though it is showing signs of budding. Should I take the tree out as I have four others and I don't want it to spread whatever it is. I would be grateful for some advise. Thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,199
    The tree doesn’t grow or the apples don’t grow or both?

Please could we see a photo of the mysterious green mould?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • The tree doesn't grow but, I get very small apples now
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    I think we'll need photos but the green coating is likely algae due to lots of wet weather or lichen, both of which are harmless and there are no diseases I know of which look like that and spread to other trees, so I think you can stop worrying.  It may just be taking it a long time to establish new roots, especially if it was pot-bound before you planted it?  Lack of growth does sound like a root issue of some kind.  Is it staked?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hi yes it is staked and it is showing signs of budding which it does but it never grows and it wasn't pot bound that I am aware of. Maybe I should just leave it a little longer before I take it out.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,199
    Could we have a shufty? (see a picture of it?😁)
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.