Forum home Problem solving

self seeded border advice and plant ID requests

This time last year, I dug out an overgrown border that I wanted to change and replaced a section of fence. The border is about 25ft by 10ft. I removed most of its weeds, brambles and shrubs that I didn't want to keep and decided to rake flat and seeded the entire bed with a cheap box of seed brought from home bargains If I remember correctly. I think the seed box was sold as a bee / butterfly friendly mix of some description and cost 3 or 4 pound I think! I didn't have high hopes but the seed box managed to achieve what I wanted and brought some colour to that end of the garden. I'm hoping to continue with this plan for a season or two until I can decide what to do with that space. Long term I am hoping to get that Cherry blossom tree established centrally in this border.

My first question is how prolific should those plants self seed. Does anyone think I should get a similar display this year or should I add some more seed to the mix?

The mix contained mainly poppies, a few cornflowers, several types of marigold and finally white cosmos, no pictures taken of those.

could anyone ID this pink flower pictured below?

This is how this border looks today. I have removed the obvious weeds but I am unsure as to the ID of the clumps of growth that remain. Can anyone ID these from the pictures below please. I just want to know if they are weeds to remove or a reappearance of something nicer!

Not a lot to go on I know! But does anyone recognise the leaf shapes of the three clumps above? If I have to wait for more growth to find out what they are then that's fine, if somebody knows now then I might be able to remove them if they are weeds.

Thanks for looking!

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    It looks like you have some oxeye daisies there that will flower this year. And some calendula.
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    The pink flower is probably Rose of Heaven, Silene Coeli-Rosa.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,461
    The clump before the last photo looks like forget-me-nots.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,410
    The oxeye daisy's will self seed prolifically they can become a problem if you let them, we even have them spread into the lawn
  • Thankyou @Fire @Borderline @Busy-Lizzie @Wilderbeast for all of your suggestions and IDs. I will keep an eye out for unwanted oxeye daisies in the lawn. So far all self seeded plants from last year are contained within this border only.

Has anyone any experience of growing the type of poppies in the pictures? Are these likely to come back, there were plenty of seed heads on display last year.

• bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 567
    I was wondering what your poppies were, @justandnobodyelse, they were lovely. Do you think they might be Shirley poppies? I would like to grow some 🤔
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,461
    If the pink flower isn't Silene Coeli-Rosa it could be Corn Cockle.
    If you want annual flowers that seed themselves then Nigella (Love in a Mist) are pretty.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Some of the images from a google search for Shirley poppies are spot on, others less so. Mine had a variation in colour but not in petal shape like some of the other images suggest. The seed used was a mixed box with very little detail on the packaging, sorry I cannot be of more help @bullfinch They gave a great display though.

Thanks @Buzy-Lizzie for your suggestion on Nigella, coincidentally I have already bought some seed and will be sowing shortly! Are they easy to grow?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    The poppies look like Iceland Poppies, Papaver Nudicaule. In favourable conditions, they should come back. 
  • Thanks for the Poppy advice @Borderline. I wasn't aware of all the different poppies out there. My photographs were taken just before the peak flowering period, there really were a lot of flowers. Interestingly we had red, white and pink blooms but no orange as the google images of Iceland poppies suggest. Whatever they are, here's hoping the conditions here are suitable again this year!