Forum home Problem solving

Lavender

Hi I was wondering if anyone growing french lavender has seen their plant growing overwinter, my plant is still growing with new purple bracts blooming over the winter months, is this common for this type of lavender Paul Antrim

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    I have several small Hidcote that definitely got bigger over winter :)
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687
    edited March 2020
    Where are you based and is this plant grown in a container or in a sheltered space? Sometimes, plants will flower earlier if cut back early the previous season. A photo of your plant will help.

Sadly for me, when I have grown this plant in the past, it failed to grow back well.
  • Hi Borderline thanks for your information ,my lavender is in a semi shaded area,it has increased in size with wonderful abundance of flowers or bracts all summer,its been quite mild here this winter in Northern Ireland. Its growing in a large planter box I constructed a few years ago with good drainage. Thank you
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,021
    Good effort.

I love the long flowering period of french lavender but treat it as an annual in the border. Looking at the one I have just now in the ground it's a tatty mass after winter- just like the 2 plants that were there before.

It will likely be alive but too scabby to bother rescuing. Curious as to how yours has done so well. I'm by the coast and the winter hasn't been very cold.
  • Hi there Dirty Harry,Thanks for your info,im as surprised as anyone that this lavender is doing so well in the colder months,although its been quite mild this year in uk,its positioned in a sheltered area of the garden maybe thats the main reason its done so well. Time will tell this year,if its going to be successful. Cheers  
  • Dirty HarryDirty Harry Posts: 1,021
    Maybe shelter is the key. I live in the golfing town of Carnoustie, infamous for always blowing a gale so shelter is not a strong point of my garden.