Forum home Problem solving

First cut

Best way to tell if your lawn is ok for first cut.it is really long and dont feel to wet.the soil however is yuk

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,315
    if the soil is " yuk " I'd keep off it until it's drier , and firmer .
    Devon.
  • wazza63wazza63 Posts: 59
    Agreed Hosta.
    I've not cut mine since last September, it's going to take months until it's "short" again.
    Devon.
  • TenNTenN Posts: 122
    I always think that my lawn is the least interesting thing in the garden so it gets the last of my attention. 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,707
    A lawn is not an interesting think in itself, but I personally find it quite useful (even indispensable) to set off the rest of the garden, viz. the mixed borders, shrubbery, etc.

And to answer the OPs question, due to the warmish winter we've had so far, my lawn has started growing more than usually. I have mown half of it, with the lawn-mower set at its highest position. But now it's really much too wet to do anything about it, so will have to wait.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • I wish I could cut my back lawn but as we are on clay and the border edges are full of water, I cannot get anywhere near it. The trouble is that where the dog tiddles, the grass has grown so lush and is almost 8 inches tall. I've lived here 49 years and I've never seen it as wet as this. A patio at bottom of garden is covered with 2 inches of water!
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,078
    The title of this thread keeps giving me an earworm😐
    In London. Keen but lazy.
    B3 said:
    The title of this thread keeps giving me an earworm😐
    it's the deepest, isn't it?
    Devon.
  • wazza63wazza63 Posts: 59
    Glad to amuse all ya fellow muck chuckers
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Ah - but how many of you know who wrote it?

Answers on a postcard please, and no googling.....  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....