Forum home Problem solving

Raspberry canes from garden centre

I have bought some Tulameen raspberry canes (late summer fruiting) from a garden centre. They came in a container and there are about 5 woody canes about 8 inches tall.

I need advice on what to do now, because it is not clear if these are the canes grown from the initial plant last year and which therefore will be the canes to bear fruit for me this summer. Alternatively, are these actually 5 separate raspberry canes that I need to separate out, plant and then expect fruit from their subsequent new growths next summer. 

The root ball seems pretty sturdy, I don’t think it would be very easy to split them. 

Thanks 

• yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    I think you will find there are 5 separate canes. 
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,623
    Whether one root or not it will do fine if planted in the ground just as it is. Give it plenty of room, feed with manure mulch and it will find it's own space and spread over the years. You will just have to wait and see if this year you get fruit, but you will know which are this years stems for next years fruit.😁
  • Thanks for your advice everyone, if better get on with it!
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    Please do not plant 5 canes together if they can be separated, and I'm pretty sure you will find there are 5 plants. I sell raspberry canes in a Garden Centre, and although they may look like one plant, there are definitely individual canes in a pot.
    Contact the centre you bought them from before planting to confirm.
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,623
    Usually when I empty out a GC pot if it is a group of plants they fall apart, but often it's one big clump.