Forum home Plants

..the new ROSE season 2020...

• Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 734
    @Marlorena - oh I know AM gets big from your comments on it before. However I think the space is larger than it appears in the photo, I was planning to keep everything carefully trained and pruned anyway.

Mortimer Sackler will be trained between the fence and shed, possibly mingling with the Generous Gardener over in that direction. Not grown as a shrub. So ground space is shared between the others.

Yes they are Kew Gardens.

I'll have to keep an eye on them and be ready to divide them and repot as its not that large a pot they're in. In fact it took a while before I'd noticed that I'd pushed one of the canes all the way through the pot and out of one of the drainage holes!

Don't think that's best practice! 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,318
    I did wonder if the area was larger than I was thinking.. and I just know you'll be keeping on top of them...
    I've not tried KG from cuttings so be interesting to see how you get on... I wonder if it will be as vigorous own root... sometimes they can be better.. 
     I've often poked cuttings through the bottom of the pot without realising, so what I do now, and I find cuttings root well this way, is to use these small baskets which are used for pond plants, put some grit in the bottom and then place the pot of cuttings inside... I find that they enjoy the better drainage and seem to sense they have something to root into at the bottom...

Just my way of doing it, everyone has their own methods…  these are obviously not roses though..

I think I figured out how to do a collage.. see if this works... some spring flowers..
    and photos showing juvenile foliage on some modern roses with 7 leaflets..

• owd potterowd potter Posts: 285
    Certainly works @Marlorena and looking lovely
    love the colour of that Pulmonaria
    @owd potter   oh thanks... yeah I love that pulmonaria .. I think Blue Ensign is similar... so easy to grow.. please show any pictures you've got, you're more than welcome.. 
    ..the first one with the pinky red foliage, you could cut that back to wherever you like.. I would probably cut it back to about 2 foot high... it should improve the plant, otherwise it'll just get lankier as the season progresses... it doesn't look that old..

..the last photo I can't make out what's going on there so I would have to just leave that and see what the flowers are like this summer... you can always prune it  back later... 
    ..with the mild winter the leaf rolling sawflies are out early.... they do some damage to most of my roses during the season, they can also ruin buds next to the leaves... they lay an egg inside a leaf, which then curls over in the shape of a burrito..

..inside is a little caterpillar like creature... as a non-sprayer, all one can do is pick them off really... not something that bothers me too much but I do lose some leaves and buds on roses each year to these...

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,669
    That nest looks like the apple moth I had on my lime tree ( even though it came inside in September , the Caterpillars didn't appear till January). It took nearly 8 weeks to clear the tree of them @Marlorena
  • Jason-3Jason-3 Posts: 334
    @Marlorena thank you for your annual rose season thread. It has encouraged me to move around 6 roses at the weekend 😊Has anyone experienced Rose replant issues in large pots? 
     I have moved one rose and replaced it with Olivia rose. Replacing all old compost with new + John innes and rooting powder. Just wondering if I should of scrubbed the inside of the pot? 
    Reflecting on last year's.. What were peoples impressions of the two new Austins from last year Gabriel Oak and Eustacia Vye? Silas mariner for 2020 looks a beauty but I'm unsure of yellow in my garden
    @Jason-3 ...nice to see you back Jason, looking forward to seeing your roses this year again..
    ...I've replaced roses in pots with no problems... I've even reused some of the old compost but like to change more than 50 percent of it..  I no longer use mycorrhizal but have used it in pots before.. it does no harm if you have any and I never found the need to scrub the pot inside...

… I love those 2 roses from last year... I've just bought 2 more Gabriels… and I wanted the 2 new ones this year, not because they are the ''latest fashion''  or anything, but they seem just right for my garden, size, shape and colour..  the yellow is The Country Parson, it's very thorny... so I shall see how that goes...