Forum home Plants

..the new ROSE season 2020...

• Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 717
    Had a fun afternoon in the garden planting the new roses, moving some hebes, cutting back clematis and generally having a good peep around!

Here's, in order, The Ancient Mariner, Bathsheba and Lady Emma Hamilton.

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 721
    I want to try alfalfa tea this year. I want to test the theory that the fermenting process makes triacontanol in alfalfa available to plants and that its benefits are more than just nitrogen.
    Other than that, I use manure and fresh mulch in spring, a sprinkle of some rose fertilizer and BFB, I am not disciplined in taking notes or measuring amounts. Last year, I used diluted Tomorite and seaweed extract later in the season but I think I have enough P and K here and need to focus more on N. I want to have a soil test done to take guessing out of this but so far I did some pH tests and I know that the soil is different in different parts of the garden so I am not sure how to do this reliably.
    edited 7 March
    My first Rose cuttings look like they’ve made it through winter, Malvern Hills covered in growth top to toe.

Rhapsody in Blue with a little of Ghislaine de Feligonde on the left

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,234
    Collages are a good idea, I shall have to do more of these... I think I remember how to do them.. all roses looking good I must say...

@edhelka .. with the RHS test you take soil samples about 6 inches deep from 10 places around your garden, mix it all together and measure out an amount from that, about 7 ozs I think it was.. and send that off...   if you're interested in going down that route... my ph level came back at a disgusting 8.1 which is heavily alkaline, but I think I tainted the sample with sand and cement from fence repairs.. my own readings suggest around 7.0.. I have grown Camellias and small Rhodo's/Azaleas here without problem.. and two big Rhodo's grow 100 yards from me.. 

Alfalfa Tea is interesting, I've read good reports about it from the U.S. but wouldn't know about it here... 
    edited 7 March
    ..seeing all that red growth, this is such an exciting time for our roses... I keep getting DA discount offers, valid till mid April, it's so tempting to get stuck in again I'm afraid..

@Mr. Vine Eye   do watch for the foliage on The Ancient Mariner, when your plant is more mature.. I think the early Spring juvenile foliage on this rose is outstanding, all purples/slate greys and mahogany's... 

..this from 19th March last year.. 

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 721
    Yes, alfalfa tea is a more American thing but I've read too many good reports about it. The big downside is it seems to be only available as big bags of pellets for horses (20 or 25kg) or as hay for rabbits which is overpriced for the amount.
    I should probably do some kind of soil test. However I know that I’ve got several different soil areas which probably have very different conditions and needs.

Ive got a new border that’s made up of bagged top soil and compost mixed in with existing sand on top of rubble clay. A quite sandy and dry area, then a really loamy area which had been under turf, although this is also atop rubble clay (whole garden is)

I think the soil must be tending towards acidic - I’ve a camellia that seems quite happy. Not sure about the new area.

Fertiliser wise I bought Wilko branded rose food which I only used once - forgot to repeat. Also didn’t want to over use with them all being newly planted. I got tomato feed too but again haven't used it!
    ..this forum is strange in that some posts only appear a day after... I've only just seen Mr Vine Eye's named roses post above....
    ... Your corner of roses is going to look wonderful but I think you might find that, after 3 years, The AM is a little too large for the spot... see how that goes..  pruning and shaping will be key to keeping that corner in good order I think.. 
    ...hope you don't mind me saying that... but I've grown most of those ...
    @Mr. Vine Eye .. just out of curiosity, which cuttings did you take.. the canes look smooth.. 'Kew Gardens'?...  hope they grow for you.. looks as though something might be happening there...