Forum home Plants

..the new ROSE season 2020...

• celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 241
    edited 7 March
    @Marlorena I received Port Sunlight as a gift, partly because the sender and I had visited the actual village just across the Mersey before and liked the place a lot. It was therefore not really a well researched choice ha! I will keep you posted as to how it does this year. 

@edhelka That’s an incredible transformation, in fact it reminds me of those gardens that appear on Monty Don’s garden makeover series! 
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,400
    Is Gabriel Oak very similar to Gertrude Jekyll I am so tempted but have limited space so don’t want two very alike? 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,234
    @debs64 ..sorry, I haven't grown Lochinvar, but it always looks appealing..
    'Gabriel Oak' is a much darker colour than Gertrude Jekyll.. it's almost cherry red turning deep pink with sometimes a lilac edge..  it has a lot less thorns than GJ, the scent is good most of the time.. overall it seems to be a more consistent bloomer... 

...so, no, they are not really alike at all.. I expect Gabriel to be a lot easier to manage...
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 721
    Thank, everyone. We have even better views from the front, west facing with distant sea views. We are really lucky.
    @Marlorena It's approx. 7 or 8 metres x the length of a bungalow (13 metres, I think) and also a good-sized front garden. It would be big as a blank canvas but we got it as a fairly mature garden with many plants and I don't have the heart to do too drastic changes. Roses have to coexist with what's there.

@celcius_kkw I like the look of Port Sunlight and I almost bought it last year. But I don't have trust in the health of apricot or apricot/yellow DAs. Please let us know later in the year how it does.
    @debs64 I saw Lochivar twice in David Austin’s rose garden and I was very captivated by it. It’s white/cream with just a slight hint of pink on the edge, the scent is heavenly. To me it has one of the most fragrant roses I have come across, and the scent is good even on a wet day.
    edited 7 March
    As it's fertilizer time, I'll just talk fertilizers that I like... everyone has their own methods... Miracle Gro is good for pots, but as its nitrogen is pure Urea, apparently it washes through quickly, so it gives a quick hit, but not long lasting..

Once again, David Austin comes out tops for me... unfortunately I cannot get the DA brand locally and have to order online, so I only get it when I'm ordering roses from them... However, what I can get is an identical product called Vitax Azalea.. I suspect it's all made by the same people... unfortunately the Vitax product sells at the same price as the DA one but we get only half the quantity, which is poor value...

DA 1.75kg sells for 6.95  the Vitax Azalea usually sells for the same price but is only 0.9kg - half the amount... sometimes Homebase has it on offer for £3.. so I buy 2 boxes...

I had a soil test done by the RHS [costs about £30].. which revealed my soil is very high in Phosphorus [P],  so I never use Bone Meal...  but low in Nitrogen [N] and low in Potassium [K].. so this fertilizer is ideal for my soil conditions.. it's also organic based which makes me feel better..

Here are comparison labels, just to show how similar they are...  

DA..

Vitax Azalea...

I use these for all plants, including Camellias.. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,964
    Thanks @Marlorena for that fertiliser info, it can be very confusing trying to decide which one is best. I think I'm using Hilliers own brand at the moment but will have to go and check!
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,198
    Update on my new The Prince, a potted up DA bare root rose put in what a sheltered spot. It’s meant to be very tolerant of heat so long as it doesn’t get afternoon sun. It was the first to leaf out, was doing really well and even has a first rose bud developing... but we had some fierce gusty winds and it’s got serious windburn and is now looking very sad. The leaves are rather thin and delicate, so I hope it doesn’t go the way of the very lovely Gruss an Tepliz, which also has delicate foliage and took one look at my sun and said ‘no way, jose’!

The Prince’s Trust, on the other hand, has much tougher, shiny foliage and shrugged off the wind. So frustrating not being able to see roses in advance, but thicker, shiny leaves do seem so much hardier in my very variable mountain climate. Note to self for future purchases!
    edited 7 March
    Thank you for the post on fertilisers @Marlorena I have literally just come back from a big fertiliser haul from the garden centre today. I’ve only got half the packet of DA fertiliser so I had to supplement it with some miracle Gro. 

Here’s my ‘collection’ of fertilisers at the moment (DA fertiliser not included as I’ve finished the packet).. I’ve laid down a layer compost mixed with fish/blood/bone and slow release fertilisers (DA and miracle gro) and will start fertilising with the miracle gro all purpose liquid fertiliser regularly once the new growth becomes more established. The potash feed/tomato food is a bit of an experiment this year for me, I read that they produce great blooms if used when buds start to form due to the high potassium content. What do you reckon?
    @celcius_kkw Adrian, you are well stocked up.. very suitable for pots.. I use Tomorite.. it's good.. I'm not so keen on Toprose, I've given up on that one at least for the garden...
    Incidentally, the best NPK ratio for roses in pots is supposed to be 3-1-2.. that is ratio, not the NPK.... so you could have an NPK of 21-7-14... or 9-3-6.. or 12-4-8... that gives the correct ratio.. but I've yet to find a feed that adheres to this...