Forum home Plants

..the new ROSE season 2020...

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,669
    I love the colour of the new growth @Marlorena and it seems quite vigorous.  Am planning a similar kind of support so looks good. Those blooms look huge no wonder they droop.😀
  • celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 274
    edited 6 March
    @Mr. Vine Eye
    Thanks. I love seeing all the rose garden photos here too. I’m glad to be able to share with you guys photos of my container only balcony rose garden. It comes with its own unique challenges but so worth it. :) 

@Marlorena
    i suspect my second balcony doesn’t get ANY direct sunlight at all... that said given how much my port sunlight has grown over winter despite the cold weather and lack of sunlight.. it might just work. If it does I am definitely going to get myself a generous gardener to be trained up the wall on that balcony. The good thing though about this balcony is that it’s very well sheltered unlike my main sunny balcony. I guess one just can’t have it all 😝

it came pruned to the base in October and it looks like this now 

I’ve sort of decided to leave it alone rather than pruning it again.. partly because the new growth seems so incredibly healthy. Plus I’ve just transplanted it so the growth will probably be stunted for a period of time anyway..
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,318
    @celcius_kkw looking good...  I've often thought about Port Sunlight, I've always liked the photos of it, but I've been put off by reports that it's a stingy bloomer.. so we shall see how yours gets on there... if your site is open, the lack of sun isn't always too much of a problem..

...in fact, this is something I'd like to stress as I think it's often misunderstood...   All roses, without exception, will produce flowers in a sunless position from mid May through mid July, when the sun is highest, temps warmest and days longest... all of them.. what they won't do, usually, is produce as many blooms as they would in a sunny spot, so when you read that a rose needs 4-6 hours of sun, it should be stated that this is for maximum output... 

...repeat flowering roses  also just won't be able to produce so many blooms in September in a sunless spot, when the days are shorter and lack of warmth.. but you will still get some regardless... whether it's enough to satisfy the gardener is another matter..

It's surprising to find roses that will produce a significant number of flowers in sunless positions though, the worst type of shade for roses is overhanging trees and large shrubs.. roses can also get very lanky in shade as they try to reach for the sun...
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,011
    That's interesting @Marlorena. I have three shrub roses planted between  a 5ft-6ft tall evergreen hedge at the back and a small dwarf box hedge in front of them to hide their lanky legs. It shouldn't work but so far they have survived ten years or so and bloom enough for me, with the possible exception of 'Margaret Merrill'. I do feed them well every year.
    I'm pleased you got those nice roses..
    I have that grey slate in my garden here and there... I find cats don't like it..
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 734
    @edhelka

Looks great! What an improvement.

Like the horse and hill in the background too! We’ve just got a big corrugated metal prefab monstrosity to look at - servicing garage.

Didn’t even realise it was there until new neighbours moved in three years ago and chopped down their trees along the boundary! May have boosted the light in their garden but it definitely didn’t improve the view from ours!
    ..great job @edhelka, and your garden is larger than I thought... looks really nice and with good views too as Mr Vine Eye said..
    ..all photos welcome here of our gardens... that's no problem.. 
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 2,438
    Anyone grow the DA rose Lochinvar? I see it every time I go to the gardens but it’s only available to buy online. Think I may use the discount voucher to treat myself