Forum home Plants

..the new ROSE season 2020...

• edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 761
    edited 5 March
    I like a good mix because I like to experience different types of roses. I can imagine having a garden of only DAs, it would be pretty, but I am too curious for that. And they can be a bit hit or miss here, for example Princess Alexandra of Kent looks absolutely awesome in early summer but once blackspot sets in, she becomes sticks only and it also affects her rebloom badly.
    Regarding hybrid musks, I love Lens roses but I would also love to have some traditional hybrid musks. I think I will get Felicia sooner or later. But yes, it's also about the performance, I hope most roses with multiflora in their genes would do well here.
    Now, practical question. Have anyone here ever ordered standards from Tuincentrum Lottum? They have them on shorter stems (80-120cm), for €14 usually and it looks like they ship them internationally. Is the postage the same as for normal roses? Even if it is higher, it would be a good deal.

• celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 274
    Yes! The annual rose season thread has finally returned to this forum. 

I am going to lay some compost down and fertilise my roses this week. I am also going to venture a little into plants other than roses this year, I’m trying to create a cottage garden feel to my balcony so I’m thinking of growing some fragrant sweet peas, lupines and salvias alongside my roses. 

I’ve got a new rose this year called ‘Port Sunlight’ and I May just be tempted to buy myself The Country Parson after I’ve seen her in person in DA’s rose garden. 

I’m particularly keen to see how well these ‘shade tolerant’ DA roses do on my second balcony which receives almost no direct sunlight at all. I had my port sunlight on this shady balcony since November last year in its own pot and it came fully pruned. I was surprised at how much it has grown over winter and it’s now full of healthy foliage. If these ‘shade tolerant’ roses do well it will mean I get to have additional space to fill with roses! 

So much to look forward to! 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,011
    My climbing 'Claire Austin' which is a creamy white with lemony centres and lovely perfume, is doing well for me at the south side of an arbour. I've started tying it to wires over the top and across the back which seems okay. It's quite vigorous with lots of thinnish pliable canes, good for fanning across a wall or fence. 
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,318
    @edhelka ..I've not ordered Standards from them, but they certainly seem cheap compared to over here.. about 1/4 the price and a good selection... let us know what you get ...

@celcius_kkw ..a 2nd balcony, now you can have even more roses... Austins do quite well in shady spots I find... if you want another yellow consider 'Molineux'.. it's in my worst spot for sun and it's doing really well.. 
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 734
    edited 5 March
    I love seeing photos of your balcony roses @celcius_kkw

My order has arrived! Need to go pop them in the shed before it gets too cold, and I’ll plant them on Saturday.

Id like a mix of different roses too. Part of the issue I’ve got is that I find the sites tricky to navigate. I’m more likely to spot one that you lot have shared on here and then try and seek it out than I am just browsing online or in a shop. The other is that my garden is very small, I don’t have much space for pots, only a very small patio which isn’t multipurpose (small children) and no room at the front of the house.

So I can’t just test them out very easily. I’ve tried to just get ones I know are going to be good based on recommendations.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,234
    I very nearly ordered a standard Burgundy Ice from them or one of the Hulthemias, such as For Your Eyes Only, @edhelka, but didn’t in the end, which I am now regretting it as I have just the spot that needs a bit of height. They seem to have two postage rates, €14 for up to ten roses or €20 for up to 100, so even if the higher rate applied it would still be really good value. Maybe email them to check?
    edited 5 March
    Mr Vine Eye... I know what you mean, we don't all have the room or inclination to experiment, and it gets costly too as we all make mistakes..  DA make it very easy to order from them, their naming and marketing is second to none, they have that down to a tee - they know their customer base, which I think is also designed with the American market as much in mind, as the European one..

Each year I order a potted rose from them for my birthday, which conveniently is in June, the height of the season, and it's such a thrill to open that big box... and see a rose full of buds waiting to burst open..

I was thinking of Lady Emma Hamilton for this year.. but I've not made my mind up yet.. and the fact you get it the next day after ordering is another bonus... 
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 523
    @Mr. Vine Eye I've said the same about the photos on the Sarah Raven website / in the brochures many a time... when you're sitting at home on a dark, wet evening perusing the marketing material, the fabulous photos must reap huge commercial benefits...!
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 734
    I’ve bought Lady Emma Hamilton, even though I’ve got Lady of Shalott which looks very similar. But it’s at another side of the garden to repeat the colour across which I’m hoping will look good.

Also I like the look of the bronze foliage and she’s meant to have a stronger scent.

Ive not got any recent photos to share, will have to take some at the weekend. My potted Desdemona is the furthest along, sheltered spot next to heated house wall. New shoots are already 6 inch canes with two or three sets of leaves.

Rhapsody in Blue has some great new shoots growing along the length of a cane I tied in to the fence. This was taken a few weeks ago, the shoots are much longer now

I meant to show a photo of my Lichfield Angel at the moment, so here it is.. growing in a trough type container... I prune it back to about 3.5-4 feet...I expect it to be over 5 feet by midsummer..but I don't want it too lanky..

The pros and cons..

It's virtually thornless which is always a bonus... so easy to train... early blooms can be full and heavy and droop downwards... I didn't like it in the ground as they were looking at the soil, not me.. so elevated in a pot seemed the best way to go.. later in the season the blooms are less full and they remain upright - very attractive..
    Some of the early blooms are exquisite though, and vary in colour..

..this colour is more typical, and sometimes they are white..