Forum home Plants

..the new ROSE season 2020...

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,669
    I wonder if they were the "for sale" stock being taken to Chelsea @Ffoxglove not show stock, very disappointing. 
  • FfoxgloveFfoxglove UkPosts: 325
    @purplerallim looks that way... 😥
    I wonder if the 7.5litre roses were as impressive as the website makes out... 
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,235
    @lesleymardell, I think that looks perfectly healthy and acceptable for an early potted rose, plenty of nice new growth on it. It would have been lifted from the ground as a bare root plant, and will need a bit of time to settle and develop it’s root system so I would keep it in it’s pot in a sheltered location or a poly-tunnel/greenhouse if you have one, water it from time to time and plant it out in late April/early May. 
  • Ashtse1969Ashtse1969 Posts: 13
    Can anyone please tell me if these two are suckers ..  :s

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,321
    @Ashtse1969

No, not suckers...  so no problems...  nice to see some basal growth...
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 332
    @Ashtse1969 @Marlorena I'm pretty sure Marlorena previously said that if the growth is red-tinged it is the cultivated rose, not suckers from the rootstock. Very useful!
  • Big Blue SkyBig Blue Sky Posts: 450
    Ah Ffloxglove, I was just about to post the same thing! My Susie arrived and I too was disappointed. This is a 4.5 litre pot and thought it looked rather spindly and some of the leaves were a little spotty looking.  Was expecting something more since there were labelled as Chelsea stock  :/
    Susie grows quite quickly, so don’t despair 😊
    This is mine - now three years old and was lightly trimmed last autumn. Grows happily in a large pot at a west facing wall. 

The tulips are growing in the same pot - as I need to safe space in my tiny garden 😊

And this is a flower from last April 

@Marlorena thank you !!!! It’s good to see them growing ! Roses keep us company while STAY AT HOME. Please keep safe everyone :)
  • edhelkaedhelka GwyneddPosts: 761
    Does anyone know which rose is used for standard tree stems? Its suckers are red :) And is it a different rose for the stem and for roots? My Super Excelsa looks like it has a budding union between the roots and the stem (and then of course 3 roses budded on the top of the stem).