Forum home Plants

..the new ROSE season 2020...

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,652
    Good ideas both, @Mr. Vine Eye and @Fire ,will look into it.
    Moonlight is too open for me, and adding large only adds iceburg to the mix, which was my default go to. Will have to look into shrubs.😁
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 717
    @purplerallim

Lichfield Angel?
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,231
    @Hexagon ..which roses are you referring to?  edhelka's or mine exactly?  you can't always tell how old a rose is from the canes...

@purplerallim … don't forget to check Harkness or Peter Beales roses, they have more choice.. 
    ...'Lichfield Angel' will climb if supported.. it can grow like a short rambler.. but it takes a few years...
    ...you can train 'Tranquillity', a David Austin rose to 6 foot or so on an obelisk.. as below.. didn't take long..

edited 4 March
    Lichfield Angel looks good @Mr. Vine Eye is it a repeat flowering?

Just looked at Peter Beales @Marlorena and "Mrs Herbert Stevens" has caught my eye and completely off on a tangent Harkness "The Princes Trust" is it as deep a red as it looks? That is what happens when you start looking.😊
  • Mr. Vine EyeMr. Vine Eye Posts: 717
    I suspect that it’s possible people (including myself) are drawn to David Austin roses over others because:

a) familiarity with the brand name - and thinking of it as a high quality product 
    b) Good naming of roses (I personally love the names)
    c) Great photography
    d) Ease of navigation on the website

I especially think the high quality of the photos is a major draw over other sellers!

You look at any DA bred rose on their website or catalogue and the roses look gorgeous because they’ve taken high quality, well framed and vibrant photos.

Look at other rose selling websites and often the photos are badly lit, mushy, under or over saturated - some are clearly stock photos taken over 20 years ago - and they really don’t show off the Rose well at all.

Quality of presentation and marketing makes a huge difference to someone who is purchasing online or in store but at a time when the roses are dormant or out of bloom.

If I’ve liked the look of another rose suggested, it’s been because of photos on here or helpmefind taken by Gardeners and not by the photos available on the purchasing sites.

Because the roses are not necessarily “better” (although arguably some varieties are especially good) than others and you can find other varieties for cheaper that could very easily be mistaken for them. There are hundreds of alternatives to any particular colour or style.

But the quality of the marketing and the relative shoddyness of the competition’s efforts I think has a big impact on sales.

At least with me it has!

Although one of my favourite roses is Rhapsody in Blue, which was a cheapo from the garden centre, and Amber Queen, which although very thorny, has lovely flowers and scent. But the photos available online don’t do them justice at all. So I suspect it’s the same for many other roses!

just need a good photographer!
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,198
    Hurrah, the rose thread is back, thanks @Marlorena. All those lovely new roses to come!

All my bare root roses, received pretty late and potted up, are doing really well, with lots of new growth and foliage. I say all, the Moyesii Geranium is still pretty much dormant.

@purplerallim I have bought a Prince’s Trust and am hoping it is as red as they say... its my last try to get a climbing red rose to work here. Mostly they go pink and/or fry in the heat. I have also bought The Prince, an older DA deep red rose. I am looking forward to seeing how they both do.
    Well you do have heat/bleaching problems dont you @Nollie 😁 I do have a standard rose "Rood" which should be red but the number of colours it ends up with ( usually to do with temperature) is amazing.

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 3,231
    ...pretty rose... ^.. not one I know..   
    ..be nice to have Mrs Herbert Stevens... we don't see that so much now, but by all accounts it's still a very good climbing white.. 
    Lichfield Angel is continuous bloom form, I'll show a photo of mine later... 

I prefer a variety of roses from different sources and era's.. not all modern..  edhelka for instance, has a fascinating mix of just a small sample of roses there.. but I know we all like reliability and performance...

@Nollie.. nice to see you back with us Nollie, I was considering sending out a search party...
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,198
    Aw, thanks @Marlorena - I had computer problems for a while, but I’m glad to be back.

Well, @purplerallim, this year I am going with the colour fading flow. My new rose bed is going to be all shades of pink, specifically chosen for their heat tolerance. If these red ones want to be pink, they can join the new pink parade! I have pretty much resigned myself to roses in my ‘hot border’ being nothing of the sort. The only one that has generally stayed a true red for me, so far, is RD Braithwaite, but even that turned pink in the heatwaves last year.