Forum home Problem solving

Indian Bean Trees - to be or not to be

Hello experts :)   I recently bought a house with four Indian bean trees.  In summer they are stunning but I am arranging to have them removed.  They are planted exactly 2 meters from the house.  The house is old in an area where subsidence is common.  I believe the trees will cause problems as they grow.  Before committing the sin of removing these beautiful trees, I'd really appreciate another opinion. Thank you for any words of wisdom. 

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,709
    aka Catalpa bignonioides
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,267
    edited March 2020
    I would definitely remove them.

But first, save some of the seeds and plant them.

About fifteen years ago I visited a botanic gardens and picked up some seeds from a Catalpa tree. I was living in a flat at the time and sowed them in small pots which I kept on the window sill.

After a very short time, all the seeds germinated. I was interested to see that some were green leaved and some were golden. Some grew like topsy and some seemed more dwarf in habit.

I moved into a house after a few months and planted one in the front garden. In only three years, it was up to first floor level. A beautiful golden tree with pretty flowers in a very short time.

I gave a lot of the trees away. I kept two.

I brought those with me to Derbyshire and planted them in the garden here.  The difference in growth rate is amazing. In the south of England, they could put on three feet a year. Here, they put on maybe three inches a year if I’m lucky. They are still only about five feet tall.

Beautiful trees but they need space.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000
    edited March 2020
    suedougal2
    "I recently bought a house with four Indian bean trees"
    That's very thoughtful of you ; are you planning on sharing with the trees?? ;)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,587
    They respond well to pollarding, producing enormous leaves rather than flowers.  In Belgium they are often used for pleaching - hedges on stilts.

Both systems control growth and thus root spread so if you want some structure and/or privacy keep them but prune them.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks to everybody who responded with very useful information.  I had them removed.