Forum home Plants

Sweet Peas - do they trail well

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    edited June 2023
    If you've planted your sweet peas on/against a small fence, they'll need some wires or similar to enable them to climb @EmmieD. The fence slats are unlikely to be suitable on their own for that - too wide. Put some horizontal wires in, on vine eyes, spaced about 6 to 12 inches apart. Plenty of food and water though - especially if they're very close to the fence   :)
    Sweet peas will trail though, I've done it on several occasions - in a window box type of setting on a fence, and also in a huge pot where they tried to go up, but because there was nothing to climb onto, they trailed over and down like a fountain. The pot was massive though - about 3 feet in height and almost as wide.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • celcius_kkwcelcius_kkw Posts: 752
    @EmmieD In my case it didn’t work very well, they did trail but were quite straggly and weren’t floriferous enough (not like petunias anyway) to truly create the impact. They also required very frequent watering / feeding - at least twice a week to look reasonably attractive. The foliage and stems also aren’t lush enough (they have big gaps between them) to create a good enough cascading effect for me. 

I’ve subsequently grown them up a support and in my humble opinion they looked much better that way. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,819
    It comes down to conditions too - sweet peas need loads of food and water, regardless of how they're being grown, so in hotter, drier areas, it's more difficult to keep them happy. Many are better with some shade too, as full sun for very long periods can stress them. I know there are people on the forum who struggle to keep them going through summer, simply because it's too hot and dry, long term for them. 
    A layer of manure in the base of containers, of any kind, really helps, and a good, moisture retentive growing medium.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...