Forum home Plants

Raised bed lavander suggestions

Hi I'm looking for some suggestions for lavender to put in a raised bed. I'd like it to be relatively compact in spread and as it will run down the length of a 3m raised bed (at the back) something that should in the end become more of a small compact hedge. As a wethare and temp guide we live in the central belt (Edinburgh - Glasgow). Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 11,452
    I think the French lavender types tend to be tender, so you're better off sticking to the English ones such as "Hidcote". 
    I have a variety called "Blue Cushion" which is very compact, but l am not sure how readily available it is  :)
  • Yes I was thinking along those lines. Hidcote seems like a good choice. I’ll have a search for Blue Cushion and see if I can find that as well. Am I right in thinking all of the English varieties are generally pretty hardy? 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 11,452
    I always think good drainage is the key, but generally speaking l would say so. There's more information here which may help.
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popular/lavender/growing-guide
  • That's great thank you.
  • lily6lily6 Posts: 79
    We have 30 feet long raised border edged with Hidcote, planted about 5 summers ago. It gets baked by the sun and looks great, makes a good Winter structure too and no flopping.