Forum home The potting shed

Covid-19

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,675
    Lizzie27 said:
    No @Tin Pot, fortunately I haven't been advised to self-isolate (although I do have a cold). Dove had already sent me the same link but thanks for the thought.

If we all do have to self-isolate, I still intend to go out in my garden sometimes - as it's a large one, there's no way the virus could hop over the hedge and infect anybody else, viruses don't spread like that.
    With all the noise on the news it’s natural, but there is no need to worry about that at this stage.

It’s interesting to know what the playbook is for these events, and see how countries are working against pandemics.  Pandemic sounds scary, but this is not the plague.  

NHS England/Scotland/Etc. Have said the risk is elevated to Moderate but there is no increased risk to individuals.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,675
    edited March 2020

Tin pot said:
    Lyn said:
    I see what you mean Pansyface, but it’s not bad in this country,  is it 5% of the land built on?  look to the heavier populated countries,  China want World domination now so have lifted their one child rule.  India following close behind.  

Hi Lyn, China have a depopulation problem to be concerned about now.  If their birth rate doesn’t rise, and it has continued to fall since they revoked the one child policy, they will have a big problem with too many old people and too few young.
    So you're saying that a virus that seems almost custom made to kill mostly elderly people is in fact in China's interest right now? :o 
    Ha ha, for the overpopulation conspiracy theorists, yes.  Other suggestions might include Soylent Green, euthanise on the 30th birthday, etc!
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,928
    @Tin pot, in the nicest possible way, do you have any idea what you are talking about?
    Guessing and making things up is a sure fire way to cause problems. Sadly,the  twatosphere is buzzing with frightening misinformation, and I would hope for better on here. 
    Nobody has said there is no increased risk to individuals, if you get it, you are at increased risk of death, even if you are young and fit. 
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,563
    Self-isolation is obviously a good idea if people genuinely have the major symptoms, but it's also a great skivers charter for those who get full sick pay and simply want to take a 2 week break from work.  If they actually do develop it at a later date who is to prove that they didn't have the symptoms first time round?  Despite having retired 4 years ago, I could still name the ones most likely to fall into that category at my final employment.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,774
    To qualify for Sick Pay you have to have been told to self isolate by a medic ... it’s not a matter of choice. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,628

To qualify for Sick Pay you have to have been told to self isolate by a medic ... it’s not a matter of choice. 
    From the BBC news website:
    "UK's Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, who's been addressing MPs. He suggested the current rules on sick leave could be revised during the coronavirus outbreak.

As it stands, employees can take time off work for sickness, but need a note from their doctor if they're ill for more than seven days.

Mr Hancock said the issue of sickness self-certification is under review"

Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,274
    We will probably need to be tested to qualify for time off with COVID19, but the issue of going to be tested and then going to obtain the sick note will be problematic for both patients and doctors. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,965
    I see that the NHS have just declared the virus as a major national incident with the highest level of emergency.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,955
    Lizzie27
    Just read that on SkyNews online .......very worrying indeed ! :(
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,965
    We're all doomed Captain Mannering - doooomed!!!