Forum home The potting shed

Covid-19

• KiliKili Posts: 715
    Just found this on the NHS website . Looks like your right Dove, well done for being on the ball and thanks for the correction.

"Although the pneumococcal (pneumonia) vaccine is not effective against coronavirus, it is still recommended that you have it if offered to you because it can protect against other illnesses."

Regards
    Kili

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,606
    Lyn said:
    I see what you mean Pansyface, but it’s not bad in this country,  is it 5% of the land built on?  look to the heavier populated countries,  China want World domination now so have lifted their one child rule.  India following close behind.  

Hi Lyn, China have a depopulation problem to be concerned about now.  If their birth rate doesn’t rise, and it has continued to fall since they revoked the one child policy, they will have a big problem with too many old people and too few young.
  • KiliKili Posts: 715
    basic  anti winter colds kit
    Hi Fidgetbones, what would a "basic  anti winter colds kit" consist of please?
    Are we talking the usual paracetamol, throat pastilles etc..?
    It would be intresting to hear what a medical professional does :) 

Kili

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,606
    Lizzie27 said:
    Am I right in thinking that self-isolation doesn't mean you can't go out in your garden or along a country lane for a walk in the fresh air? As long as you keep at least 2 metres away from anyone else, surely that's okay?
    If you’ve been asked to self-isolate, and I’m hoping you haven’t (!), I.e. a medical professional has told you to self-isolate there’s advice here:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-self-isolation-for-patients-undergoing-testing/advice-sheet-home-isolation

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,253
    edited March 2020
    BBC 1 now: BBC News Special about COVID. 
    Probably won’t tell us anything new.

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,339
    My winter colds kit.
    I have boxes of tissues, Dettol wipes, bleach for loo, and I never run out of toilet rolls.
    Depending on how bad the joint pain is, I have Ibuprofen 400mg, Paracetamol 500mg, and a stronger version of each (with codeine in ) for last thing at night so that I can sleep. These painkillers work on sore throats as well.  If you want sucky sweets, Jakemans are the old fashioned sort. Lockets and Soothers contain sorbitol which can have a laxative effect.  For chesty coughs I use a Guafanesin 100mg/5ml syrup. I might alternate that with Covonia for chesty coughs.
    I have Sudafed for if I am bunged up, but if you  have high blood pressure, they are not recommended, so have  menthol crystals and eucalyptus oil for dropping in hot water and inhaling the steam.  The blue air waves chewing gum is also good for clearing blocked sinuses and eustachian tubes. I use that when diving because you can't dive with Sudafed.  If I am really bunged up in the sinuses, a Neilmed Sinus rinse bottle with pre measured sachets to make  saline nasal wash out.

I don't bother with lemsip. expensive versions of paracetamol,  but a hot drink of honey and lemon, or my own blackcurrant jam in boiling water makes a soothing drink.  I gave up on hot ribena when they started putting in lots of artificial sweetener.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,733
    edited March 2020
    I feel ok so.....
    I feel fine now....
    i really need.....
    It won't matter if I just....
    I've got herd immunity....
    I'm going stir crazy....
    It's all a conspiracy........
    I can't afford to....

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,799
    No @Tin Pot, fortunately I haven't been advised to self-isolate (although I do have a cold). Dove had already sent me the same link but thanks for the thought.

If we all do have to self-isolate, I still intend to go out in my garden sometimes - as it's a large one, there's no way the virus could hop over the hedge and infect anybody else, viruses don't spread like that.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,339
    Estimations are that for most healthy people, the symptoms are mild. A lot of people will not realise they have it, but will spread it around. Probably 60% of the population will get it sooner or later.  For old people over 80 with compromised lungs or weak immune systems, it will be much more serious.  I am not worried about myself, but I am worried about passing it on to my 87 year old mother with asthma, who thinks that as she has had the flu jab, she will be OK.  

i think that in countries with poor healthcare and crowded insanitary conditions, with a malnourished population, such as India and most of Africa, it will have a higher mortality rate.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3