Forum home The potting shed

Covid-19

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,806
    Fairygirl said:
    Mask wearing is still the regulation here @punkdoc, but my daughters have noticed that people are just ignoring it.
    I can only assume that's how my older daughter has contracted it. She now can't get her 2nd jag for another 4 weeks or so, which will mean around 12 or 13 weeks since her 1st one.  :/
    It's a great shame your family have been infected by other people's carelessness or negligence, FG - I know you've all been trying very hard to keep it out of your home. But don't worry about the 12 to 13 week gap. Studies seem to show the overall protection from a longer gap is better.
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,412
    I was just saying to OH a couple of days ago that surely masks should be mandatory, not only for Covid but the Flu as well, if i remember rightly flu was at an all time low last winter because of mask wearing, can't the government see this? If they really want to stop the NHS from being overwhelmed this winter this must be the right thing to do.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,626
    I'd support mandatory mask wearing in indoor or crowded public places too. Yesterday I forgot mine and went back for it rather than go into a shop without it, but loads of people around here aren't wearing them. What I don't want is to go back to not being able to visit my parents in their home. It'll soon be not warm enough for them to be sitting around outside.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,756
    Thanks @raisingirl. That makes me feel more relaxed. I think I miscalculated - it'll be more like  14 to 15  weeks, because of isolating. 
    Frankly, the girls have enough day to day problems without this to add to them, but that's how it is. Fortunately, she hasn't been too unwell.
    Younger one had an unpleasant couple of days after the 2nd jag, due to a reaction to it, but she's ok now, and still testing negative, as am I.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,792
    I see in today's papers,2 care assistants, mother and daughter refused jabs,both died, daughter 32 leaving 4 small children. Serious shortage of carers,yet a refusing to be jabbed. I had to have Hep ,ABC TB and annual blood tests,In order to work at the hospital. Went to see oldest daughter yesterday,(51) she smokes,was on the 2nd (as far as I know,) large wine. Says she had enough jabs last year flu,this year Covid,and is not having boosters. I didn't waste my breath, pointless!! Told me she's getting bad acid reflux, I "might" have suggested it is lifestyle generated
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,563
    I don't need to consume much alcohol, particularly later in the evening, to suffer very bad acid reflux.  That happened long before Covid - unless I was an 'early adopter'!
  • KiliKili Posts: 747
    edited 17 September
    @Nanny Beach

Occasional reflux is not a problem, but tell your daughter to see a Doctor if she's having bad acid reflux consistently as it can lead to Barrett's Esophagus a pre cancerous condition if its ignored long term. Not something to ignore if its happening on a daily basis. 

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,792
    edited 17 September
    Kili,yes I know. My late father had it all his life,he was a very heavy smoker,60 a day,the next one already lit. He died of CA esophagus. There is also bowel CA family history. Said daughter is 51,won't take notice of anything I say. 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,563
    Kili said:
    @Nanny Beach

Occasional reflux is not a problem, but tell your daughter to see a Doctor if she's having bad acid reflux consistently as it can lead to Barrett's Esophagus a pre cancerous condition if its ignored long term. Not something to ignore if its happening on a daily basis. 

I was checked out for that but thankfully negative result.  I now just try to avoid drinking or eating too late in the evening.  Also keep Gaviscon handy as that does sort it quickly.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,952
    Daughter took  grandson up to Oxford on Friday evening,  got him settled in his room, younger one starts coughing,  they all test,  positive,  daughter , husband and younger son had proper tests, all positive, poor Daniel is still waiting for his results.
    looks like he will be spending his freshers week in isolation. I do feel sorry for him.
    Younger one no doubt brought it home from school,  they’ve all got it, she says everyone she knows has it.
    I knew Cornwall was bad, she said that I’d got no idea how bad.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.