Forum home The potting shed

Covid-19

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,606
    punkdoc said:
    @Tin pot, can you explain why you don't believe the world is not over populated?
    Sure, but it only makes sense to do that if people explain why they think it is.  

Overpopulated means different things to different people.  Mostly people just want a simple explanation, and they can’t really imagine billions of people, so saying the world is overpopulated is an easy answer.

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,606
    Rik56 said:
    Tin pot said:
    Lyn said:
    Tin pot said:
    The world is not overpopulated.  

It’s Malthusian nonsense rejected over a hundred years ago that just gets circulated back up every so often, like it’s new.  People have complained that here are “just too many people” for at least two thousand years when there was hardly anyone alive by comparison.

I suppose this old man is talking out of his backside then is he?  Did anyone watch that Chris Packham programme.  Mind you it was the BBC so maybe not true. 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p080p9y1
    Their concerns about further population growth are not the same thing as the world being overpopulated.
    https://www.activesustainability.com/sustainable-development/causes-consequences-overpopulation/
    Are you thinking that your link describes overpopulation? Because it explicitly doesn’t.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,738
    May be an easy answer, doesn't mean it isn't right.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    edited March 2020
    Fifty years ago, I could walk out of my parents’ front door, go down a little lane that was too narrow for two cars to pass, step over a stile and be surrounded by hundreds of acres of farmland. There were skylarks and curlew and partridges and dormice and any number of wonderful things to see and hear. 

Look at it now and tell me that the human population isn’t exploding...

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,461
    I see what you mean Pansyface, but it’s not bad in this country,  is it 5% of the land built on?  look to the heavier populated countries,  China want World domination now so have lifted their one child rule.  India following close behind.  

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• KiliKili Posts: 715
    edited March 2020
    I think the problem will come if a number of folk who have pre-existing respiratory conditions, then  contract the virus and go on to develop pneumonia etc and are admitted to hospital. 

Yes, Dove that's right.
    I'm not sure if most people are aware but there are two pneumonia vaccines available which are about 50-70% effective the last time  I read about them. I think they last a lifetime.
    I would advise anybody with respiratory or immune deficiency conditions to speak with their Doctor about having these as if you do contract this new virus (as with Flu) its not the virus that kills you but, the complications of pneumonia that does you in as I understand it.
    With the pneumonia vaccine you will I assume improve your chances of survival should you contract it.

Speak with you Doctor as soon as folks.

Stay well and safe everyone.
    Kili

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,104
    No photo description available
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,941
    edited March 2020
    @Kili ...  I think I’m right in saying that the vaccines you’re talking about work against Viral pneumonia which comes from a specific virus ... not against the sort of pneumonia that develops as a result of respiratory congestion,  which is what Covid 19 might lead to. 

@punkdoc ... have I got the right end of the stick? 

Edited to say: Googling shows that it’s more complicated than that (of course) 
    https://www.healthline.com/health/bacterial-pneumonia#bacterial-vs-viral
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KiliKili Posts: 715
    edited March 2020
    @Kili ...  I think I’m right in saying that the vaccines you’re talking about work against Viral pneumonia which comes from a specific virus ... not against the sort of pneumonia that develops as a result of respiratory congestion,  which is what Covid 19 might lead to. 

@punkdoc ... have I got the right end of the stick? 
    Thanks for the update Dove, I'm sorry if I got this wrong , best intentions and all that .As I suggested anyone reading my post should see their Doctor as I'm not one and I hope I haven't mislead anyone , just trying to help. but having the  pneumonia vaccine under the guidance of your Doctor will certainly help for what I have now been advised could be only for Viral pneumonia.

Kili

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,339
    I think that old people or others at risk should get the pneumonia vaccine, but that is effective only against a bacterial type, not a viral cause such as the coronavirus.
    I think that anyone at risk should avoid crowded spaces, give anyone coughing and spluttering a wide berth, and keep on washing hands.
    When I was working as a Locum, I often got called in at short notice to cover someone gone home sick. I think the staff thought I had OCD, wiping everything down with dettol wipes that the sick person touched, and bleach down the loo,but it  seemed to keep me healthy. Self preservation, as I didn't get sick pay.  The first thing I do when I come in from shopping is to wash my hands. I also don't buy food on open displays that people tend to touch and then put down again. Fruit and veg that get peeled is different.
    Last September I went to Kew, and somehow picked up a bug that kept me in bed for three days, then shattered for two weeks.  I went through four boxes of tissues and loads of medication, but thankfully I had a well stocked medicine cupboard, and we ate out of the freezer for two weeks.   Be prepared, you may just get a normal cold, but if you have a basic  anti winter colds kit, it will stand you in good stead sooner or later.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3