Forum home The potting shed

Covid-19

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,942
    There was a prog on R4 over the weekend when what is meant by self isolation was described thus (not sure who it was but it was someone from 'Health').  

Confine yourself to one room away from other people.
    If you have to share a bathroom you should use it after everyone else and your towels etc should be bagged and laundered separately.
    Your crockery and cutlery should be washed separately 
    Your clothes and bedlinen should be laundered separately.  
    Any personal waste (tissues, cotton buds etc) should be burnt or bagged. 

Think that was it.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

edited March 2020
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,606
    Fire said:
    "Flu is a bigger killer."

You have oversimplified.

In the UK, you are currently still more likely to die from flu.

Globally, it could prove to be worse. Your link is about projections, not certainty or actuality.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,988
    Did anyone see the Chinese man looking after his wife at home? Hazmat suit for all contact with her room where she was confined. Room disinfected daily. Double bagged everything coming out of her room. After 9 days she still had to go into hospital. Not sure what happened in the end.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,606
    Lyn said:
    Tin pot said:
    The world is not overpopulated.  

It’s Malthusian nonsense rejected over a hundred years ago that just gets circulated back up every so often, like it’s new.  People have complained that here are “just too many people” for at least two thousand years when there was hardly anyone alive by comparison.

I suppose this old man is talking out of his backside then is he?  Did anyone watch that Chris Packham programme.  Mind you it was the BBC so maybe not true. 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p080p9y1
    Their concerns about further population growth are not the same thing as the world being overpopulated.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,799
    Thanks for that link @Dovefromabove - interesting. Mainly common sense of course but I still think a bit of fresh air and exercise away from other people would be beneficial. Obviously if you are living in a big town or city, that might be more difficult but even so, in your own garden (if you have one) should be okay.  If you are sharing a house with another person(s) I rather think the damage is already done, as one is infectious before showing any symptons I believe. 

As for washing your hands after every cough or sneeze, that's just not doable, your hands would get raw very quickly.   
    edited March 2020
    I suppose what the rest of us will rely on is everyone doing as instructed by the experts,  rather than thinking ‘I know better’.  Although in this era when the disregard of experts is commonplace, that puts most of us in danger 🙄 

The chap on the radio did recommend using hand lotion after hand washing ... although I think if people would rather avoid getting sore hands than guard against spreading Covid 19 there really is no help for humanity and folk really don’t deserve to be saved. 🤯😭🤬

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,539
    Switch to unperfumed, natural soap and your hands will thank you. Most liquid soaps in pump action bottles are terrible for your skin.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
    Always use old fashioned bars of soap here 😇 

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,738
    @Tin pot, can you explain why you don't believe the world is not over populated?
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root