Forum home The potting shed

Covid-19

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,925

If you want to know who to blame, it’s a society that repeatedly elects governments that promise to bring down taxes rather than being honest about what it costs to run a proper National a Health System, free at the point of use, for all of us who contribute to it. 
    I totally agree. For 60 years prior to the Thatcher governments the basic rate of income tax was 30% or higher. I would have no issue with the level being raised to 22.5 or 25% if there was a promise that money would be spent on the NHS and nothing else.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,542
    Greenbird said:
    Flu is a bigger killer. We don't close borders at flu season or enforce seasonal vacs.

It's got to get a lot worse before travel bans are imposed. By that time, the virus should be understood more
    But we do have seasonal vacs. No one sits back and says 'oh well flu doesn't kill as many people as the plague so what are we worried about'. We have very little information about covid-19 at the moment and don't know if a vacine will work or if the virus will mutate given enough opportunity.
    It's a great model for climate change. We can't accept a hit to the productivity and enjoyment of people to stop the immediate threat off a deadly virus so how will we ever slow down enough to prevent mass extinction from climate change?

Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,133
    I'm afraid it's going to have to get a lot worse before I lose any sleep over it. 
    Devon.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,988
    It is a hard truth that we are breeding ourselves into extinction,  the trouble is we are taking the planet with us.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,608
    The world is not overpopulated.  

It’s Malthusian nonsense rejected over a hundred years ago that just gets circulated back up every so often, like it’s new.  People have complained that here are “just too many people” for at least two thousand years when there was hardly anyone alive by comparison.

This disease is not nearly the most likely cause of your death, it’s not even the most likely disease to kill you.  Existing flu viruses are far more likely to kill you.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,484
    Hostafan1 said:
    I'm afraid it's going to have to get a lot worse before I lose any sleep over it. 
    You don’t get any sleep anyway, 😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,484
    Tin pot said:
    The world is not overpopulated.  

It’s Malthusian nonsense rejected over a hundred years ago that just gets circulated back up every so often, like it’s new.  People have complained that here are “just too many people” for at least two thousand years when there was hardly anyone alive by comparison.

I suppose this old man is talking out of his backside then is he?  Did anyone watch that Chris Packham programme.  Mind you it was the BBC so maybe not true. 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p080p9y1
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,988
    The world population increases by 88 million a year, and the scientists think the worlds ability to produce food will be only able to keep up for another 10 years. There is a possibility that the fertility rate will drop, but only if we dont interfere with that will a balance be achievable. Also that depends on food producing land not being used for something else.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    Just come back from the weekly market in Bakewell. Stalls selling freshly cooked pies, fresh unwrapped bread, cakes, hotdogs, meats, fruits and vegetables. Not one stall had anything like an adequate covering on their wares.

Handling cooked foods with plastic gloves is all very well but to then take the money with the same gloves and to then move on to the next customer...

Also one man was cheerfully coughing, with no handkerchief, glove or elbow, over food that his fellow customers were about to buy....

We’re all doomed, as Private Frazer used to say.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,741
    If we can't produce enough food or water for the current population, then surely we are over populated.

In regard to Covid 19, it would be a lot more sensible to listen to what the experts are saying, although I realise that nowadays experts do not get a lot of respect. Check out what virologists are saying, they do not have a vested interest.
    Southern trees bear a strange fruit
    Blood on the leaves and blood at the root