Forum home The potting shed

Covid-19

Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,853
edited 13 March in The potting shed
I am finding it utterly incredulous that people are still being allowed to flit the globe via air or sea ; their apparently implacable desire for foreign holidays posing an increasing risk to everyone else . All travel abroad , unless absolutely necessary should be banned .
Personally I think that all suspected cases should be isolated until this is sorted out once and for all .
Daily in the UK new infections are being reported ; I have an appointment at Hull Royal Infirmary at the end of March (just under four-weeks) . At this rate I will probably cancel because by that time maybe a hospital is not the ideal place to be !

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,848
    Actually @Paul B3 hospital might be the best place to be, as that's the one place the sick are not allowed to go! 🤔
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,963
    Nearly 4 million refugees in Turkey at the moment. I hate to think what will happen if it reaches places like that :|
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 4,963
    It's Covid-19 by the way. Corvid-19 sounds more like bird flu :#
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,237
    I am not sure that there is any way that this is something that can be "sorted out once and for all". We are still a long way from finding a vaccine for this viral disease which would in any case be a possible preventative measure not a cure.
    We have a local outbreak which does not have a foreign travel aspect to it so banning travel wouldn't have stopped it. The disease had already spread internationally before being detected so travel bans are just barn doors slamming shut long after the horses have gone.
    It is ironic that our town was used as the original infection source for the BBC Contagion programme. As a major dormitory town for London commuters anything which started here would already be spreading countrywide by the time it was detected.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,853
    It's Covid-19 by the way. Corvid-19 sounds more like bird flu :#
    My mistake !! I take it you're referring to Corvus , as in Crow ? ;)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,553
    Spanish flu was actually a bird flu.  Covid-19 appears to have come thru contact with wild animals so isn't hugely different.

It will spread, or not, depending on how determined it is to adapt and procreate and also how determined and practical and pragmatic is our response to it.   Common sense about personal hygiene and non essential meetings with groups of people whose contact history is unknown will determine how it pans out. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,103
    There is something rather ironic, in that the final animal vector in COVID 19 was Pangolins. They are an animal that the Chinese capture from Africa, as they believe in the power of its armour, which is just hair.
    I think we can be certain things will get a lot worse. I have been asked to be part of a group of relevantly trained Drs. who have been asked to determine who should or should not get critical care if needed.
    Due to my own health I have turned this down.
    Somewhere in my heart
    There is a star that shines for you
    Silver splits the blue
    Love will see it through
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,553
    Pangolin revenge?   How sublime.

Chatting with Possum this evening and she sees all sorts of social media stuff I don't go near.  Apparently the conspiracy theorists are having a field day - Corona virus is an environmentalist plot.  It seems that the closure of Chinese factories following extreme government measures during this crisis have drastically reduced toxic climate change emissions in China.   Score for the greens then.

Got to love a good conspiracy theory.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw