Forum home Problem solving

Wisteria pruning february

Hello ,
advice on pruning this tangled mess that didnt flower last year ,before my OH digs it out. I have googled and read links but still unsure. Prune back to two buds - I cant see any new buds just brown nodules that look quite dead ! Is it these I cut back to -  Do I cut back every strand to 2 buds there are quite a lot and when  I zoom in some branches are quite thick and would need a saw . Most of the plant is heading for next door or the sky - I've none on my side . My goal is to have it all on my side ( so I dont get complaints about fence damage etc ) hanging over the top of the wooden slats that can be seen in the picture to provide shade and to have a lovely flowers dangling down. Too much to hope for ? Help as to where to start now before it gets too late. Thank you

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,593
    Try and identify which main stems you want to keep for your structure/framework and remove all others as near their base as you can.   Use clean, sharp secateurs, loppers or a pruning saw depending on their thickness.    Then prune all remaining twiggy stems back to two buds.   

Wisterias need pruning twice a year to encourage flowering so the next prune is in July and then you cut all the new, long, whippy stems back to 5 buds.

This link will explain - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=242 and they have a video here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0qDeGhEjLY 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,450
    Looks like that wisteria has been neglected for some time, which makes it harder to look after it now. I prune my own wisteria quite a few times during the season, and have just done it's "end-of-winter" pruning back to 2 buds.
    Do follow @Obelixx 's advice & the RHS too.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 31,615
    I'd start by removing anything thinner than a pencil, then stand back and have a good look at it to decide which stems to keep and train, and which to remove/ prune
    Devon.