Forum home Fruit & veg

Gala Apple pips

Well I'm balled over this year.  I saw something on Youtube just after Christmas.  It was of this Spanish guy growing lemon trees from actual pips.  Well i thought really.  One evening about 5 weeks ago I was making some fruit salad with fresh fruit and thought I will have a go at this but with Gala Apple Pips and an old lemon i found in the fridge and thought nothing will come of it.  How wrong was it.  I have four lovely gala pip seedlings growing in a seed tray  and two lemon pips just sprouting in the jar. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on potting on the apple seedlings 

Photo to back up    

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,101
    edited February 2020
    First thing to say is, those aren’t Gala apple seedlings.

Mummy was a Gala. She provided the ovaries (the apple fleshy part and the core) Daddy was something else out there in the orchard. He provided the sperm (the pollen). What you have is a lot of little apple trees who won’t grow up to be either mummy or daddy. They will just grow up to be themselves.😊

Secondly, have you ever seen those apple trees that grow by the side of roads? Somebody’s thrown away apple core maybe twenty years ago. Big aren’t they? Your little apple trees will grow just as big.  

Apple trees in garden centres are grafted onto dwarfing rootstock. It makes them easier to fit into your average garden, helps them to flower at a younger age and adapts them to domesticated life in other ways.

But carry on. You might find that your little seedlings are a delicious new variety and you’ll make a fortune out of selling the rights.😁

Keep them in their pots until the roots begin to grow out of the bottom, then put them in a slightly bigger pot and so on.

In five years’ time make enquiries about grafting courses and learn how to graft them onto dwarfing rootstocks.🙂
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thanks for your advise and information 
    I shall keep them growing on as best i can for a year or two see what happens .. 
    The lemons might be a winner though 
    thanks again 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,532
    A peculiarity of citrus fruits is that a pip sometimes produces two or more seedlings.  One will be a mixture of the parent plants, as with apples. The other comes from cells other than the embryo, so it is, in effect, vegetative reproduction, and will be a clone of the mother plant.  You can't tell which is which until they fruit, and not even then if they are very similar.  But one of them at least will be worth keeping.