Forum home Tools and techniques

Home CCTV advice please

• KT53 said:
    We are also looking into CCTV.  My basic requirements are:
    Good night 'vision'.
    Motion activation with a decent range.  Many only seem to have an activation range of about 5 metres and that would barely reach the ground if the camera was mounted just below the guttering.
    Wireless.  I don't want cables running all through the loft and then down to the 'brain' of the system.
    Easy playback and screen capture.
    Capacity to hold at least 28 days info.
    Remote access to view.
    Any specific reason you don't want the cabling to run in the loft ?

If i am not wrong they claim, wireless CCTV the signal can be jammed if someone has bad intentions . But I could be wrong . 
  • pansyface said:
    Wireless systems do have their problems.

See this from “Which?” magazine.

Wireless systems can suffer interference from devices such as routers, cordless phones and microwaves, and can be blocked by heavy masonry or metal objects. Your filming may also be interrupted if your internet connection is lost. 

We were told that the amount of time recordings can be stored before being over written is affected by the number of cameras.

Excellent info 
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 8,750
    edited February 2020
    KEEPGREEN said:
    KT53 said:
    Good night 'vision'.
    Motion activation with a decent range.  Many only seem to have an activation range of about 5 metres and that would barely reach the ground if the camera was mounted just below the guttering.
    Wireless.  I don't want cables running all through the loft and then down to the 'brain' of the system.
    Remote access to view.

If i am not wrong they claim, wireless CCTV the signal can be jammed if someone has bad intentions . But I could be wrong . 

If the cabling was only in the loft I wouldn't have a problem, but it needs to run to the controller (for want of a better description) and monitor which would be housed on the first floor.
    I've seen an installation where the monitor etc was housed on the ground floor so trunking had to be run all the way through the house.  I definitely don't want that.
  • KT53 said:
    KEEPGREEN said:
    KT53 said:
    Good night 'vision'.
    Remote access to view.

If the cabling was only in the loft I wouldn't have a problem, but it needs to run to the controller (for want of a better description) and monitor which would be housed on the first floor.
    I've seen an installation where the monitor etc was housed on the ground floor so trunking had to be run all the way through the house.  I definitely don't want that.
    Thanks , I do agree 
  • We have all our cameras cabled, with the DVR fitted in a bedroom upstairs to keep the cables out of harms way.

Night vision is only as good as the illuminators, we have extra IR illuminators at relevant points.

The only downside being that the local plod used it in a kidnapping case, and the footage clearly identified our property  :'(   Life sentences handed out.... but life don’t mean life.
  • pansyfacepansyface Posts: 22,745
    edited March 2020
    We once asked our local police officer (nice young man) what would happen if the police approached us for a copy of one of our recordings and we said no. He said that they would simply get a court order and force us to hand it over. He said that criminals know that owners of CCTVs have no choice but to give the police the images and therefore hold no grudges against them.

Our cameras are wired in. They are at gutter height and the cables are pinned against the wall in a horizontal line under the gutter until they reach the bedroom where all the gubbins are installed. The cable then goes vertically down, along the side of the side of the window, and into the house through a hole that was drilled, roughly 1cm wide. It all looks very neat and really you don’t notice it any more than you would a tv aerial cable.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    If you live in Derbyshire, as I do.
  • KEEPGREENKEEPGREEN Posts: 108
    pansyface said:
    We once asked our local police officer (nice young man) what would happen if the police approached us for a copy of one of our recordings and we said no. He said that they would simply get a court order and force us to hand it over. He said that criminals know that owners of CCTVs have no choice but to give the police the images and therefore hold no grudges against them.

Our cameras are wired in. They are at gutter height and the cables are pinned against the wall in a horizontal line under the gutter until they reach the bedroom where all the gubbins are installed. The cable then goes vertically down, along the side of the side of the window, and into the house through a hole that was drilled, roughly 1cm wide. It all looks very neat and really you don’t notice it any more than you would a tv aerial cable.
    Thanks for the info, seems like a neat install done at your place 
  • EricsGardenEricsGarden Posts: 151
    edited March 2020
    KT53 said:
    Good night 'vision'.
    Remote access to view.
    I have a few outdoor wifi Motorola Focus HD cameras. They seem to have unlimited range when it comes to motion detection. I would give the daytime video quality 4/5, but night vision only 2.5/5. The Motorola Hubble app which is used to view them is excellent in my opinion and has alerts etc, but the app isn't available on PC's. So to view them on a PC I have to find the IP address of each camera on my network and then load the streams into VLC media player, which can then record video from them 24/7 to the hard drive. They can sometimes be found for reasonable prices on Ebay. 
  • We have Nest CCTV front and back, fitted by a professional. We like it becomes the quality of the images is excellent and because it connects to an app on our phone, alerting us to anyone being near the house or motorhome. It takes a little while to adjust the sensitivity so a barking dog etc don't set it off, and we have to keep it cobweb free or Mr/Mrs Spider can trigger it too. :smile:
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 8,750
    and we have to keep it cobweb free or Mr/Mrs Spider can trigger it too. :smile:

That's a very good point.  Friends of ours have a spider web across one of their cameras.