Forum home Problem solving

Perplexing Rubber Plant Problem

May have posted this in the wrong forum!

Hello!

So i've been having some problems with my Rubber Plants. They were kept in a fairly average light room - and they were possibly slightly over watered. One started drooping, and it became clear that it was over watered. I then was recommended to repack the soil and repot - which I did. This immediately caused the leaves to droop and half of them to drop off. This is the plant photographed on the right. It has been this way for around 6 weeks - with the leaves drooping but still maintaining most of their colour.

The second plant (photo'd left) seemed like it was also slightly over watered and has drooped. Only one leaf has dropped off.

The soil feels quite moist on both, but I'm keeping them with the ability to drain on these trays.

Essentially from searching online, these plants are both overwatered and underwatered - so are there any experts on here who can help?

It'd be heavily appreciated!!

• amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,252
    They look really miserable. Try to ease off watering. Just wait for the soil to get dry in between waterings. They clearly get enough light but maybe worth checking if it's excessively draughty...they don't like it.  
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,235
    In winter, I make sure mine gets plenty of light but infrequent watering and no cold draughts.  From late spring, when temps are comfortably warm, I put it outside with a ficus benjamina on a north facing terrace where there's plenty of light and no direct sun on the foliage. 

They then get watered along with all the other pots of herbs, hostas and Japanese maples that live there for the summer.  Neither is then on a try or in a cache-pot that would have them sitting in water.   Both are very happy plants.

I suggest you leave yours to dry out to the point where if you push your finger into the compost it feels dry.   I would also suggest wiping the foliage with a damp cloth to remove any dust and giving an occasionally spray of water on the leaves as they like humidity.  

If you see roots appearing at the bottom of their pots this spring, or next, pot them up a size using good loam based compost such as John Innes 3.   During the warmer weather, give an occasional feed for foliage plants when watering.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • They look really miserable. Try to ease off watering. Just wait for the soil to get dry in between waterings. They clearly get enough light but maybe worth checking if it's excessively draughty...they don't like it.  
    These haven't been watered for around 4 weeks now, sadly! I have hope for them as the leaves haven't all fallen off! 
  • Obelixx said:
    In winter, I make sure mine gets plenty of light but infrequent watering and no cold draughts.  From late spring, when temps are comfortably warm, I put it outside with a ficus benjamina on a north facing terrace where there's plenty of light and no direct sun on the foliage. 

They then get watered along with all the other pots of herbs, hostas and Japanese maples that live there for the summer.  Neither is then on a try or in a cache-pot that would have them sitting in water.   Both are very happy plants.

I suggest you leave yours to dry out to the point where if you push your finger into the compost it feels dry.   I would also suggest wiping the foliage with a damp cloth to remove any dust and giving an occasionally spray of water on the leaves as they like humidity.  

If you see roots appearing at the bottom of their pots this spring, or next, pot them up a size using good loam based compost such as John Innes 3.   During the warmer weather, give an occasional feed for foliage plants when watering.
    Thank you - that's reassuring! I will leave them both completely and hopefully they'll start improving! Thanks for your reply!